I Forge Iron

My shop

I am thinking of the light becasue i usually get blinded from watching the iron in the fire. I was trying a 500 watt halogen at about a 45 degree onto it for a little bit and it semed to work well, i could see the iron color pretty decent imo. I just hate everything looking so dark when you turn away from the fire and it definatly helped. We have always had power in the shop but there was a large pause in connection after we terminated the overhead lines so its nice to have it back especially since i switched to an electric blower so i can work better on my own.

ATTA boy! Electricity is a wonderful thing in the shop. Now you can start gathering up those big toys, ahem, TOOLS you NEED. ;)
You may want to reconsider the spot light on the anvil. IMO, too much bright light and you can't tell the color of the steel on the anvil.

Ahh i forgot to mention the big toys, they were sitting outside the shop when i took that picture, i have a 50lb trip hammer, drill press, and pedastal grinder to start with for now, i have to get my line shaft in and going before i worry about them to much tho.

A single spot creates only a pool of light and leaves the space between the forge and the anvil dark.

Try flooding the shop with light. I find that 2 ea 150 watt lights aimed from 45* either side onto a work station work well and create few shadows. This is in addition to other lights that flood the work area.

Another solution for the problem of your eyes needing to adjust after looking into the fire.

Don't look into the fire so much, it won't make the steel heat faster. Honest. It's also bad for your eyes, too much IR will cause problems down the line.

Another trick I use is to stand at an angle to the line the steel is inserted into the fire so when I want to check I can pull it partway out and see it without having to look into the heart.

Other than judging heat, it's hard to have too much light in a shop.

Frosty

I worked some iron tonight and did just that frosty, I was at an angle most of the night and also built my fire a bit deeper as i wanted to do more spot heating to work areas of the project instead of the whole thing. The combination of the two worked great.

I think that halogen i have is more of a flood light so maybe thats why i think it works so well, its one of those yellow construction lights hung from a board on the rafters so i can move it wherever i want.

I was about to say there's room for bigger equipment to start rolling in, but it sounds like you're already working on that. My chain fall has allowed me to bring home a couple large tools already. Task/area lighting will allow you to control the light better, and wont waste electricity at the far end of the shop. My shop is currently lit by halogens and I have a few work lights I can move around. I need to look into hanging some flourecents for general purpose without compromising my head space.

While you're at it, install outlets everywhere to get (most) extension cords out of the picture. I'm currently putting in more outlets along the walls. My shop is only 15' or so wide, so I'm avoiding overhead outlet drops so far. My large cutting tools float around the middle of the shop for easier material handling and to move out of the way when the next big tool comes in on a trailer.

Keep overhead lights and outlets on different breakers so you're not in the dark when something goes wrong.