I Forge Iron

Forging Wrought Iron

Benton Frisse

Hey folks,

This weekend I'm starting a project where I'll be working some wrought iron, specifically making a 3 layer blade that is a piece of 5160 between two pieces of wrought. I've asked around and done some googlin' and found that wrought needs to be worked pretty hot, like a yellow heat, and that when I have the three pieces together I need to have a thicker amount of wrought because it will movie easier than the 5160. Any other tips? From the research I've done on here, it know it will take a higher welding temperature for the wrought Iron, much like mild steel. 

Thanks! 

Ok, so here's my take on the process, and anyone, please feel free to add/subtract to it:

I assume you are using a gas forge, and if so, you should have control of the heat. That being said, a thermocouple and a pid reader to manually control your forge will give you the welding temps needed to be successful.

If you are using wrought iron for the cladding and a piece of carbon steel (1095) for your center, forge the wrought san mai at about 2325 deg. As the billet comes up to temp, rotate frequently, let it soak for 5-10 mins at that temp, then make your first pass with the hammer, either on the anvil, or under the power hammer. Reheat, then hammer again a little harder. Reheat, and draw out as a normal billet.

Forge heat control is paramount to be consistent for welding. A few simple steps will pretty much guarantee success for all forge welding most damascus. Btw, you won't need flux for most welds. Mill scale is ok to not grind. Forge scale should be ground to shiny, but not necessarily every bit of it.

Control your forge for success.

John

Edited by gearhartironwerks