I Forge Iron

My crude guillotine tool

Damion78

Thanks I think it should work haven't had a chance to use it yet. I don't really care how it looks but compared to some I've seen my work is not the neatest. I don't have any fancy tools and I am fairly new to metal work. I learn a little more with every project mostly I think I learn what new tool I need to make next lol

Thanks third or fourth time I've fired up the welder, I wish I had started all this sooner I've been missing out on some great fun. Now I am just trying to think of a way to add or connect dies to the strike shaft so I don't have to use so much metal for every one. I'm also planning to add a piece on top to hammer on instead of hitting the plate directly.

Since the top crossbars are simply bolted into place, you can do a lot to lesson the amount of metal needed for the upper die.

Weld a piece of half-inch round stock on to the strike face of the upper die, and you have a ready-made fuller.  You should make these fullers in half-inch, three-quarters, and one-inch so you have different radii to play with.  With a kiss button welded to the top die, you remove the need for at least an inch of metal in the main body.

If you use a 1" thick kiss button on the top, well, that's at least 1" of body length you don't need.

Just remember that you do need some body to keep everything oriented properly.