I Forge Iron

Getting by with a track anvil can be difficult sometimes. I have already created a horn on mine, but getting a hardy hole has been a challenge. I believe having this hole would be a great benefit because you can place different tools in one to achieve different things. I have had a different piece of railroad track, not the track, but a different section that holds the rail timbers. In the video see how I ended up crafting a hardy hole section to hopefully achieve this.

link removed

post-1-0-44824300-1414892520_thumb.jpg

Area under the track plate hole has been drilled out, Spike can now be modified to fit into the *hardie hole* and be used.

is it okay to make ypur hardy tools using your anvil or should one use a swage block or a striking anvil

If you are forming the tools at a proper forging heat, use the anvil to create what you need.  That is what the anvil is for.  Use a swage block if you need to form curves in the top part of the tools.  Using the square holes in a swage block can also be used the refine the corners when upsetting the top part. 

Your anvil is too low. Your back will appreciate you raising it up to the proper working height.

Get a piece of square tubing and place it in a bucket of concrete or otherwise secure it to the ground. Instant hardie hole.