I Forge Iron

So what did you learn the HARD way...

Flesh freezes. When I was 13 years old I went sledding on the hill behind the local church with some friends. The temperature that day was 0 degrees farenheit. The windchill made it 35 below. The gloves I was wearing were inadequate. After awhile my hands got cold so I stopped sledding and just watched the others as I kept my gloved hands in my jacket pockets. They felt as though they were warming. I started out walking home and all the while my hands felt warm, good I thought but really didn't think much of it and kept my hands in my pockets the whole time just trying to get home as quickly as I could. When I had finally made the mile walk and got to the door I realized I could not open it. My hand was solid, in a fist position, so was the other one. I kicked open the door and got inside. I could not open my hands. Pulling off my gloves with my teeth I was horrified that my fingers were black at the tips then deep purple fading to dark red through the hands to pink at the wrists. Think hamburger that has been in the freezer for a month. first I thought running them under the kitchen faucet would be good. Bad. The pain was blinding. All I could do was keep my hands in my armpits and pace back and forth to try to dodge the pain but there was no getting away from it. After a while my hands became more pliable, up to this point being held fast in a fist position frozen right through to the bone as if my hands were the marble hands of a statue. I tapped my fingertips gently on the table. Take a stone and tap it on a table, that's the sound. By the time my parents got home a couple hours later may hands were again moveable, but I could barely move them and the color had changed to overall bright red, still black at the tips. By this time the pain was like pins and needles X1000 and throbbing quick and hard. Of course my Dad called the hospital and asked what to do, "DO NOT RUN THEM UNDER WATER" was the reply- Duh! I figured that one out right quick all by myself! "Describe what they look like", which he did. "Keep a close eye on them over the next three days for signs of gangreen". Well, over the next couple of days my fingers turned a sickly dead looking yellow and I noticed the skin had detached from the flesh but was still intact. About the third day or so the tips came off in one piece. Immagine wearing gloves and with scissors, cut around the tips at the first knuckle joint and slip them off, as if you have a sewing thimble on each fingertip and take them off. That is how the skin came off, exposing bare flesh and it took several weeks to grow back. I don't think anyone could be any more frostbitten and not get gangreen. I was lucky. Frostbite is not something you have once, get over it and can forget about it. My hands since that time 27 years ago have been forever after very suseptible to cold, turning white / sickly yellow, numb and generally immobile once the temperature drops to about 55 degrees F. I have to be very careful. "Frostnip" is a lesser condition which I have had several times since because of the suseptibility factor and the warm up cycle from numb to bright pink/ pins and needles throbbing is always very painful. You don't know when frostbite is happening to you, at some point you realize that part of you is frozen. Dan:o

I could go on all night but here is one I learned in my teens about being gullible.

I had about $3500 saved up from working by the time I was 19. One day, I wanted some new tires for my truck and told my mom that's what I was shopping for. While driving around, I spotted a 1966 CJ5 at a local dealer. It was pretty ragged out but I couldn't see any of that at the time. The sales guy saw a sucker coming and marked it up so he could give me a "deal". It had all sorts of problems but I bought it anyway.

It gets better. The Jeep had red vinyl seats and no top. After I paid cash for it, the sales guy tells me there might be a top laying around somewhere in the back that I could BUY. Of course, this was the red vinyl top that already belonged on the Jeep but I had to cough up another $150 to get it. Since he already knew I was paying cash, I'm convinced he just stuffed it in his pocket and never told anyone.

I showed up at home with no money, a decrepit jeep and still didn't have tires on the truck but I rolled it around in my head over the next few months and decided it was a lesson learned...hopefully, I'm a little better at buying vehicles these days and not so quick to trust used car salesmen.

NEVER try to carry/drag a baboon from it's cage to a dog box in a truck, ESPECIALLY if the owner offers you $500 for the task.

...Long, painful story

I'm waiting Joe.

What I learned the hard way is probably about 25% of what I know. Dad was a metal spinnr and if I hadn't been able to learn from listening, watching, asking, etc. I wouldn't have nearly as many fingers as I do.

Sometimes the only way to verify what you've been told, read, etc. is to give it a try. Learning to experiment with dangerous things safely is another thing Dad taught me early on.

A favorite Dad saying was, "DON'T DO THAT! . . . This is how it's done."

Seems he thought I'd try whatever it was anyway. :rolleyes:

Frosty

NEVER try to carry/drag a baboon from it's cage to a dog box in a truck, ESPECIALLY if the owner offers you $500 for the task.

...Long, painful story

Gee, I don't think I've ever had the pleasure... Hmmm, how would I go about this???
O.K. maybe this would work-
First, take a frosty cold beer and with the goon still firmly caged get his attention, so he wants it.
Next, crack it open and take a sip, Mmmm..., now he should be smacking his lips and grabbing through the bars.
Now place the offering in the other cage and open the door on his cage...
should work like a charm.:DDan