I Forge Iron

Vice Maintenance

zero_sum

Hi,

I'm a first time poster on the forum. Been around for a little while though but just lurking and learning (wealth of information and interesting things to be found on here with you lot!).

I recently picked up a vice. I am one of the many who are trying to get started from scratch so need to build up the most basic equipment. In fact, this is my first vice (fairly excited but I'll keep that to myself haha).

As more tools and equipment are gathered you open options for yourself; it's a great feeling to be more equipped.

The only problem is that I now feel I need to equip myself with more knowledge. I want to care for my stuff and treat it well. Hopefully it will treat me well in return.

Specifically in this thread I would like to ask how all you deal with vises. Things like:

• How do you clean up newly acquired vises? Or decide if they need it at all...

• When do you need to replace a spring piece, does it matter much?

• What kind of grease for the threads/hinge and coating for the body would be suggested? How often would you go back and add more?

Just a few bits like that, or what you guys do. I know it's a bit simple but man I am seriously ignorant of a lot of this basic shop care. I could get by and probably ok but I would like to hear if there is some proper way to approach things.

post-42698-0-66671300-1412815781_thumb.jpost-42698-0-79095500-1412815801_thumb.jpost-42698-0-02818700-1412815867_thumb.j

that is a cute little bench vice, i would be wary of trying to do work that is *too* heavy on that though.

having said that, my idea of too heavy varies from others, 50mm (2") "wire" is light work for me ;)

i generally like to run parts through an electrolytic cleaning setup, if i deem them too rusty, and then oil them.

the spring needs to be replaced if- a) it is not there; or b) it is not opening the jaws up (which could be the spring, or a number of other reasons.)

you can clean and add grease whenever you feel like it, but if it hasn't been, or isn't being, abused, they don't need more than a basic look over every year or so.

enjoy, and keep collecting!

I cleaned all mine up with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder takes all the rust off but no risk of damage to the metal.  I then just spray the whole thing with G15.

If there is lots of old grease on the thread or in the box a soak in Kero will clean it up.

Hmm ok, thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I will dissemble it partially and clean the screw and box up. The oil/grease in there is fairly gritty from the years, fairly stiff too. Like It moves freely enough but it's not great. I would need to do it in a couple months anyway when I start getting scale, shavings and all sorts in there. Want to keep this little thing for years.

A bit of paraffin or petrol so should do the trick with a brush. For the body I may clean it a bit with a scotch-brite like disk for the angle grinder and then oil or some wax. Maybe pick up something equivalent to some G15. 

I really like this bench vice. Interesting size but it will serve me perfectly well until those 2" diam. cables become the norm haha.

One thing is I may want to improve later how it fixes to the bench, especially if I want to really get into something while using it. It may need like a rigged up hard point or something (only have a thick wooden work bench right now).

Edit: Oh, anyone have a general suggestion for coating things like this in the shop. G15 spray has been floated already but anyone else have a suggestion. My grandad used to put candle wax on things sometimes when I was a child, seemed to work well enough for a farmer's workshop.

Treat per local conditions! Out here we are supposed to get 22.8 cm of precipitation per year; but as a local said "we are in year 17 of a 10 year drought" (linseed oil is an old coating a lot of folks use after cleaning up their equipment, I use wax myself for items to be used in open fire cooking.)

Yeah, pretty wet where I am over all. Think like 1200 to 1500 mm depending.

I have a good raised concrete slab for a floor in the workshop, which is itself well elevated for moisture in the immediate local area. Keeps it pretty dry as long as I am in there putting heat into the place regularly.

That said, I was having a bad problem with rust until I discovered the culprit. My dad years ago had stashed so fertilizer salts or something in an unmarked unsealed bag. It was right in under where I had been leaving leaving things. Anything but the most over zealous coatings of oil would mean rust had a foot hold the very next day.

Got rid of that bag of stuff and boom, problem was gone but for the normal rusting issues you'd expect. A light rub of 3 in 1 would be enough for leaving it a day or so. Some linseed oil was nearly long term.

I imagine it was creating a seaside air effect. Felt pretty Sherlock when I figured that one out haha  B)