I Forge Iron

Forge Welds Not Taking.

John Martin

Sometimes I have had to forgeweld barshoes in the rain to preheat the anvil I would put a 1/4 X2 flat bar in the forge (gas) then my shoe when my shoe is ready to weld put the flat stock on the anvil and weld on the flat stock which will be orange. My anvil never really did get heated up but the weld was made.

it may not help much, but I have a tutorial on my web site that may help a bit at How to make Damascus Blades 20 mule team works well, if your melting the steel, maybe your getting it hot enough, but not all the way through? I have had that happen a few times, when I am getting in a hurry.

You can get 20 Mule Team Borax in the laundry isle of most groceries. I use it and it works just fine. With charcoal make sure you have a real deep fire so that excess oxygen is burned off before it reaches your stock. Tap lightly. Don't whang on the metal or you will drive off the molten metal along with your scale and flux. The metal available at Farm Fleet can be a bit fussy for getting a decent weld. If you have a metal dealer or welding shop near by I would say that either would be a better and cheaper place to get stock.
Finnr

i get mine at the local grocery store , they have alot of it