I Forge Iron

The weirdest thing someones asked you to make

I had a kid at a demo at the farmers market ask me if I could make a nail, I didn't have a nail header with me but said I would try to free hand one, drew the point out to 3 1/2" cut it off and hung it over the far edge of the anvil and forged a perfect pyramidal head for it. I was so impressed with myself;-) I tried to make a couple more, since it had turned out so nice, neither was nearly as nice as the one I gave the kid.

Last year I think?? a guy had some strapping banders, that he needed some part for, I had a blast, and he had two working banders, and a replacement part for when the OE one failed because it was potmetal in a situation where it would have been better forged.

I had a kid this weekend ask me if I had ever forged a toy car! swords, axes, dagger, I understand was totally caught off guard being asked if I had ever forged a toy car...

I did a mid fourteenth century Italian curb bit for a perchron, needed a 5 or 5 1/2" mouth on it and I forged a bunch of mounting hardware to build the bridal on, and did some bronze bit bosses. Was really cool, might have a pic somewhere...

I was asked to do a two handed sword for a friend of mine's son's wedding, (he was at my wedding when he was little, and thought that when we cut the cake with my wedding sword, it was pretty cool) So I did a test piece, which turned out pretty nice, and then did the real sword as a demo "sword forging for dummies, with power hammers!" I stamped Ephesians 4:16 into the ricasso it turned out pretty nice, his younger brother also got married and I needed to do another one in a hurry and didn't have a working power hammer available to me, so I had to have a friend slap one out on his LG250 and I finished forging it and did the grinding and hardened and tempered it, I had my friend finish hilting it, never got a pic of the finished sword it looked pretty good when I was done with the blade.

Various blades from comics and video games,,,

Greetings all,

I had a lady come into my shop with a weird request...  She had a slightly crumpled Porsche Boxer fender and wanted a stand made so she could use it as a flower pot with the flowers blooming out of the headlight bucket....   OK  ... She said she would tell me the reason when I completed the project....  When she picked it up she told me her husband on his 50th birthday went to the Porsche dealer with out her knowing and bought himself a new car....  As he pulled out of the dealer he never made it one mile before crunching the new pride of his life....   She wanted to place the new flower pot in view of their breakfast room for a constant reminder to her husband to always check with ma ma first...  Oh well ... A commission is a commission..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim