I Forge Iron

Peter Wright weight?

Picked up what seems to be a peter wright in very good condition but no writing anywhere on it apart from a number 8 on the front right foot.  it broke my scale so not sure on weight - anyone have guess by dimensions?  From the way my back feels, it must be 300+?

Height: 15"

Face width: 5.5"

Face Length: 21.25"

Total Length: 34.5

Thanks!

Kris

Drive over a truck scale, when it is in your car/truck. Then go back over the same scale without it. There are lots of commercial scales in greater Vancouver. It is OK to drive over any highway scale, without asking. Just go slow.

Check out our web-site www.viblacksmiths.com  We are busy in August with Fairs, Coombs August 9-10, VIEX Nanaimo August 15-17, Cobble Hill August 23, Saanich Fair Aug 30- Sept 1. We will have our portable Blacksmith Shop set up at all these events. You are welcome to come and play.

Neil Gustafson

Thanks folks - I am hoping someone with a PW of similar dimensions will pipe in with weight.  The truck scale would work but would need to do it with the exact same amount of gas in the car.  a few gallon difference could through it off quite a bit :)

Even though someone might have a similarly dimensioned anvil, it doesn't mean it would be the same weight. Forging differences might give a thicker waist or heel from one to another. So even though the major external dimensions are close, the weight might not be correct.

Little dimensional differences on an anvil of that size can make notable changes in total weight.

Scale is your best bet. Gas weighs 6 pounds per gallon if you're that worried about it. You know what your vehicle gets for mpg. Note how many miles it is to and from. Simple math from there.....

As Mr Frog mentions anvils were generally freehanded under large water or steam powered hammers and so it would be unusual to find 2 exactly the same dimension and the weight of wrought iron/steep per cubic inch makes the difference in gas look pretty small.

I did go out and check my 165# PW last night but as all it's dimensions are smaller I did not think it germaine. 

Thanks folks - I am hoping someone with a PW of similar dimensions will pipe in with weight.  The truck scale would work but would need to do it with the exact same amount of gas in the car.  a few gallon difference could through it off quite a bit :)

med_931065-R1-07-14A_008.jpg

This is my Peter Wright. Well at least I am 99% sure it's a PW. The only markings it has are a capital "B" on the right side at the top of the arc between the feet just below the waist and 2 - 1 - 17 but no other markings whatsoever.

The dimensions you gave are very close to what the dimensions of this anvil are, IIRC. Unfortunately this one is in a storage unit right now several miles from here but I did measure it once. This one weighs 269 Lbs.

The face is 5 1/2" wide it stands 14" tall, has a 1 1/4" hardy hole and is 36" long overall. At the feet the base is 14" wide side to side and 12" long from to back. To the best of my recollection and straight off the top of my head those were the measurements but that was a few years ago. As someone else mentioned the other day on another thread an inch give or take on these bigger anvils goes a long way. You really won't know until you weigh it. Have you thought about fabricating a balance and weighing it yourself with a medium that could be weighed incrementally once you achieve balance? 

Those are the dimensions with a tape measure. The stoneweight markings are very clearly stamped, 2 -1 - 17 which works out to 269 lbs.

I am trying to find the thread which has many more pictures of this anvil but the search is no help, I'll just have to keep poking around here in the anvils section to find it.

Those are the dimensions with a tape measure. The stoneweight markings are very clearly stamped, 2 -1 - 17 which works out to 269 lbs.

I am trying to find the thread which has many more pictures of this anvil but the search is no help, I'll just have to keep poking around here in the anvils section to find it.

O.K., here we go, found them. I was close on the measurements going from memory. The tape is in a couple of the pics.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

And here~

Sorry the pics are so huge.

O.K., here we go, found them. I was close on the measurements going from memory. The tape is in a couple of the pics.

And here~

And here~

The pics in your first link show an anvil with 30.5" length and 13.25" height....
That makes much more sense for the weight being 269 pounds.

Right. Like I said it's been a few years. I remembered it being 36 for some reason but you can see the tape clearly. I know the face is 5 1/2" and the base is 12"x14" because I built a new stand for it. Klammer's may well be north of 300 with the extra length. That can add up quick on a big anvil. Also mine is a tad thin in the heel and if his is thicker there's more additional weight there too.

I have a 250 and a 350 (approx)

sizes

250# 12H X 28L X 5.25W

350# 14.5H X 33L X 5.5W

they are both the shorter stumpier looking versions. The 350 has an inch plate and a lot more meat under the plate. the 250's plate is 5/8 to 3/4 ish