I Forge Iron

what kind of steel is railroad rail

forgeman

• 3 weeks later...
AH HAH!! So they do get sent to a scrap place (or at least yours do). My uncle works for Iowa Interstate (who it seems contracts ALL of there work out so getting a lead is that much harder). I mentioned getting a piece of axle to him once, and he remembered hearing a Rumor that the bigger RR's rerolled them to make spikes and such (which is logical even though the quality of spikes doesn't really indicate axles as the parent stock). Hm.... I might have to look up that Grossman company. One of those axles would be well worth the drive from central IL down to Missouri if it's of the correct size...thanks sstreckfuss!

-Aaron @ the SCF

Yes they do get a lot of it to the scrapyard. Iowa Interstate runs about 50 yds north of my house. The chunk of rail I made into an anvil(of sorts) came from the salvage yard a mile from the maintainence shop at Newton Iowa.
As for the axles, can't say I would know what I was looking at. So they may be in the yard too but I would'nt know for sure.

I forgot to post this sorry.

Metrolink train axles are cut from a blank that is 79" long and 6" in diameter. The final axle varies in diameter at various points from 6" to 4" at its smallest and these variances are dependant on if it is a drive axle or rolling axle.

The steel used is "Aircraft Quality AISI - 4130 H.R. with maximum 3.0 p.p.m. Hydrogen.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Matt B   "The current standard for rail anchors is 1040-1060 steel, depending upon manufacturer."

Rail anchors are what we generally call "clips".
and for the entire file on Spikes, Rail and Clips:

American Railway Engineering Association's Specifications for Soft-Steel Track Spikes. Original document, 1926, revised la
st in 1968

Two classes of track spikes are given specifications, both low carbon and high carbon. Two sizes of track spike are identified, one of 5/8 inch square shaft and one of 9/16 inch.

Page 5-2-1. "A low carbon track spike will not contain greater than 0.12% carbon nor greater than 0.20% copper.

Page 5-2-2. Section 6a.
Bending properties: The body of a full size finished spike shall stand being bent cold through 180 degrees flat on itself
without cracking on the outside portion of the bent portion.

Page 5-2-2 Section 11. Marking. A letter or brand indicating the manufacturer shall be pressed on the head of each spike w
hile it is being formed. When copper is specified, the letters "CU" shall be added.

Page 5-2-3: Specifications for high carbon steel track spikes 1968. Carbon not greater than 0.30%, nor greater than 0.20%
copper. Page 5-2-4. Section 6a. Bending properties: The body of a full size finished spike shall stand being bent cold thr
ough 120 degrees around a pin, the diameter of which is not greater than the thickness of the spike without cracking on th
e outside portion of the bent portion.

Page 5-2-5 Section 11. Marking: A letter or brand indicating manufacturer and also the letters "HC" indicating high carbon
, shall be pressed on the head of each spike while it is being formed. When copper is specified, the letters "CU" shall be
added."

Additionally included in a fax to Mike Blue by the gentleman at Wellington industries, a division of Sheffield Steel:
"Because of the bending tests required, the carbon content will not be greater than 0.30%. After all, brittle spikes would
not be desirable as a track spike. A bent spike still holds the rail while a fractured spike would not. The consequences
for the industry would be too great to consider. However, we refer to them as high carbon, they are not within the range o
f steels known as high carbon or hypereutectoid according to the steel industry standards, and have not been since at leas
t 1926, when most track spikes were previously manufactured from wrought iron."

Of course, while some people will say .30% is bad, I know from personal experience that a well made spike knife will take
a good edge. It's very likely that the document lays out desired guidelines, but the margin for error is high and some spi
kes end up with plenty carbon to be made serviceable. Which is why we always spark test them first.

Matt B  "The current standard for rail anchors is 1040-1060 steel, depending upon manufacturer."

I am citing the Arema (The American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association) 2007 document, Part 2 "manufac
ture of Rail"

Standard rail steel:
.74 to.86% Carbon,
.75 to 1.25% Manganese,
.10 to .60% Silicon
Minimum Brinell (of unhardened surface) 310 or 370 dependant of grade ordered.

Low Alloy Rail Steel
.72 to .82% Carbon,
.80 to 1.10% Manganese,
.25 to .40& Chromium,
.10 to .50% Silicon
Minimum Brinell (of unhardened surface) 310, 325, or 370 dependant of grade ordered.
My document shows the following breakdown for grades:
SS = standard strength (brinell 310)
HH = Head Hardened (brinell 370)
LA = Low Alloy Standard Strength (brinell 310)
IH = Low Alloy Intermediate (brinell 325)
LH = Low Alloy Head Hardened (brinell 370)