I Forge Iron

How do I deal with this

fat pete

^^I second that!! we have a masive copper and bronze Prop and drive shaft off an old submarine or ship. way's probably 200lb's.. were thinking of cutting it up and casting it, but It is a really cool peice.

I think you can cast copper relativly easily.. I know bronze is easy stuff..

^^I second that!! we have a masive copper and bronze Prop and drive shaft off an old submarine or ship. way's probably 200lb's.. were thinking of cutting it up and casting it, but It is a really cool peice.

I think you can cast copper relativly easily.. I know bronze is easy stuff..

oo i wouldnt ruin that i like things like tha laying around.

You could make decorative washers. Cut off discs and then punch/drill/chisel a design, drill center hole (to allow fastening), maybe finish by dishing in a swage so they are convex.

Heck, for the price of copper, you could sell it and buy a nice anvil...;-)

ha dont need an anvil but some raisin stakes would be cool 1 anywya

I've seen the pro's hot forge a slug like that down into a large disk---using a powerhammer and then using air impact tooling hotforge the disk into a large bowl.

Copper is a LOT harder to cast than brass/bronze. Higher temperature and greater sensitivity to O2 pick up. Not as fluid a pour.

Note once it is cut up it will never be as big again---you may want to save or trade it and work small stuff into small stuff.

I'm not a pro, and I don't have a power hammer, but I've made bowl from slug of solid copper bar (but mine was square). Lots of annealing!!!!!!! You could also chisel and twist it into cool designes as a stand for something else. just remember anneal more often than you think you have to!!!!! keep the bar hanging around where you can see it and I bet you get an "aha" and next thing you know you'll be posting pictures :)

I bet you get an "aha" and next thing you know you'll be posting pictures

I guess that is where aaah-dea's come from.
You gotta love a southern accent (grin)

Translating southern accent to English:
Think oooh and aaah
aaah is pronounced as AW with a long A as in aaahful (awful).
so aaah-dea would be close