I Forge Iron

Fisher 1200# anvil !?

A friend of mine visited the auction site yesterday, Tuesday, and checked out the anvil. The anvil pictured is a 500# Fisher. The number 50 appears on one foot. There was another smaller anvil, maybe 200# in fair condition, maybe he said it was a Trenton. I talked with the owner a couple of weeks ago, a nice guy and very interesting, and he is convinced the Fisher weighs 1200#. I find it odd since he was a rigger years ago, but so it goes. Should be a fun auction.

I do wonder what the "1200 LB" stamp is for.....

If you look at the stamping, it does not appear to be "old".  Traces of rust can be seen.  I think someone was trying to outdo PT Barnum...."there's a sucker born every day".

All set with my trailer and rigging stuff.  Planning on being out the driveway at 445 am for the three hour drive.  Should be fun.  I have actually met the owner years ago, but never made it up there.

Went to the auction.  Amazing place.  The 500 lb FISHER anvil was in pretty nice shape, but not perfect.  Sorry that I cannot report the price.  I left before it was sold.  Perhaps "TopSoilKing" can fill us in.  I met his parents there.  I am sure they stayed for the anvil.

The stamping of 1200 LB did not appear to be old, and were put in either as a serial number from a factory or just to fool people.  The #'s were only 1/4" tall, and kind of hard to find on the anvil.

To conclude my end of this discussion:  I have no records that Fisher Anvil Works ever produced a 1200 lb anvil.   There is a possibility that they "might" have made a larger that standard anvil for the St. Louis Expo in 1904, but I have not confirmed that.   Fisher also advertised a 1000 lb anvil in their catalog, but I also have not records of one ever being produced, or any existing out there in the wild.  That is not to say that one does not exist somewhere.  It just has not turned up in a public place/discussion/photo/etc.

Sorry the anvil wasn't as advertised, josh, but at least this helps to validate your collected pool of knowledge on the F&N corporate history. I Am REALLY disappointed you didn't spring for a couple of those bears, though. ;-). They'd be the perfect addition to your collection.

D

Everyone's feedback was really helpful and is appreciated. Pops did manage to bring that bad boy home...what a beaut. The top of it measures 38" long, 6 1/4" wide and stands 15 3/4" tall. Winning bid was a whopping $2500.00. But pops wanted it most and I'm glad he did. Here are some pics for you boys, we got her all cleaned up and she sure is pretty. Fisher anvil man, thanks for all your help, pops said your a real nice guy and would love to see your museum some day, it was a pleasure for him to meet you. Thanks again everyone.post-55081-0-64488900-1405345085_thumb.jpost-55081-0-83643000-1405345105_thumb.jpost-55081-0-50791300-1405345121_thumb.jpost-55081-0-07212700-1405345140_thumb.j

Here is the other anvil from the auction. Whoever guessed Trenton gets a cookie! Here are some pics, can't tell if it says 200 or 210 has the solid wrought stamp and the diamond around Trenton, any other info is most welcome, dates, weight whatever u may know. Thanks again everyone!post-55081-0-60179400-1405353255_thumb.j
post-55081-0-82381300-1405353276_thumb.j

Who wants to guess what price nabbed this one?

Everyone's feedback was really helpful and is appreciated. Pops did manage to bring that bad boy home...what a beaut. The top of it measures 38" long, 6 1/4" wide and stands 15 3/4" tall. Winning bid was a whopping $2500.00. But pops wanted it most and I'm glad he did. Here are some pics for you boys, we got her all cleaned up and she sure is pretty. Fisher anvil man, thanks for all your help, pops said your a real nice guy and would love to see your museum some day, it was a pleasure for him to meet you. Thanks again everyone.

It was nice to meet your parents and hear about your family.  Sure sounds like a busy family with lots of interests.  The snowball starts rolling.....someday I will sell you all of mine.  Start saving...

Final word on this auction:  The seller had an amazing collection.  It made for an interesting day away.  Only down side was the 10% buyers premium AND 6% sales tax.  Added 16% to the bill on ALL items.  That $2500 anvil really cost $2915 in the end.  My purchases added almost $100 to my bill.