I Forge Iron

First forge: scrap and gaffa tape

Rainbows

post-53754-0-57099800-1403630705_thumb.j

I felt I should have at least one post on this account  so I shall show my current forge.

In a fine example of frugality this set up cost no money and only needed a drill. 

Made from the inside bit of a car wheel (found by the road, someone had set it on fire so the tire part was gone already), some pipe (fell off the local scrap mans van I think), an air pump that is designed for air beds (already owned that), a paint can and a later edition was part of a wok ( found abandoned with a broken handle on the street).

The original set up didn't have the wok and instead the lid of a paint can with holes drilled in was placed on the big hole in the middle of the wheel but it took a lot of coal to just fill the wheel so I replaced it with a wok which has a smaller capacity. The paint can is under the wheel and acts as an elbow between the pipe and the wheel.

I could probably get rid of the wheel now but its gaffa taped to the paint can and moving it might get coal everywhere.

post-53754-0-13193800-1403632305_thumb.j

Hi Rainbows. Welcome to IFI. 

The regulars usually suggest you put your general location in your profile. You might be surprised at how many IFI folks live within visiting distance. Everyone will just bug you until you do it so best just do it now. ;) 

That looks like a decent enough little forge. If it works that's all you need. -  Any chance of some "in use" pics? 

All the best 

Andy

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I'm one of those guys who'd bug you about your location but Andy is just such a kill joy. <grin>

I would've done a forge differently but that looks to be perfectly workable unit. The wok isn't going to last long so keep your eye's open for an old cast iron skillet or small dutch oven, they make excellent expedient fire pots, as do brake drums or disk rotors. You don't want a semi truck drum unless you really want BIG fires.

What are you making?

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I'm one of those guys who'd bug you about your location but Andy is just such a kill joy. <grin>

I would've done a forge differently but that looks to be perfectly workable unit. The wok isn't going to last long so keep your eye's open for an old cast iron skillet or small dutch oven, they make excellent expedient fire pots, as do brake drums or disk rotors. You don't want a semi truck drum unless you really want BIG fires.

What are you making?

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry Frosty, I just figured I'd join the band wagon. :p

I was going to post a picture of it in action but my lighter ran out of fuel, the blower wouldn't run fast (that's what happens when you get poundland batteries)and a bit latter it starting to rain a bit so today is just not a good day for fires. 

UzM0eL.jpg

Found this sitting in the grass in an industrial park and I thought it might do as a fire pot.

The walls are thicker than the wok and it hasn't rusted being outside but I don't think it's galvanized.

It's 18cm across with two big 4.5cm diameter pipes sticking out each end and it is about 7.5 cm deep.

If I ground out the center ring and blocked the left pipe would this make a decent fire pot? It has a convenient lip so I planned mount it on some thick-ish sheet metal that's been bolted to an old table to make a forge that doesn't involve dirtying the knees.