I Forge Iron

Shove that pigs foot further in the fire

TomGlos

Hi Folks,

A fiddle player from southern England here, hoping for a bit of information from people who know.

There's a great fiddle tune called "Shove that pigs foot further in the fire" (or something like that.)

Played by some fine musicians here

My guess is that it would be a local variation slang for pig iron.

The pigs would be broken away from the sow and heated in the forge then forged under the drop hammer into a rough wrought.

I am thinking its a timing thing, the next one must be hot enough to work just as the team finish working the one before it.

They were called pigs because the cast piece looked like a row of suckling piglets.

of course my record at guessing these sort of things is not that good.

My guess is a mulling iron or as the novelist, Kenneth Roberts, called it, a loggerhead.

Off topic, blacksmiths make a form of fiddlehead scroll, which first appeared on earth as a fern. I was watching an early Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, when the famed cellist, Pablo Casals, was featured. Casals finished a musical piece and was interviewed. Turns out that the cello was a Stradivari and the camera zeroed in on the fiddlehead scroll. All the chisel marks were in evidence on the scroll, yet all was to dimension! I concluded that they didn't have sandpaper at the time of its carving, not did they need it. Furthermore, it told me that my some of my ironwork could have honest and effective hammer marks so long as dimension and aesthetics were maintained.

We make and sell 2 types of pigs feet, curved and straight, they are used for pulling dog spikes out (dog spikes hold the railway line to the wooden sleepers or "ties" for the people from USA).  Pigs feet are also sometimes called claw wedges.

Phil

post-5537-0-27689200-1403507505_thumb.jp

post-5537-0-64843200-1403507531_thumb.jp

Many thanks for thoughts and info folks, much appreciated.  Seems most convincing to say the pigs foot is being made in the forge, not a tool being used there, (not heated anyway.)

Fiddle tune names don't often make much sense, they're just a tag like a racehorse name, but this one's more obscure than most. Why did someone think, "I'll call that tune, 'Shove the pigs foot a little further in the fire.' !"

Cheers,

Tom

Please note that you can't heat cast iron in a forge and hammer it into wrought iron.  It has to be puddled or other method of removing the excess carbon from it.  Cast iron merely crumbles or splashes at forging temps.

Yahoo2---where did you get that piece of bad info from?

Please note that you can't heat cast iron in a forge and hammer it into wrought iron.  It has to be puddled or other method of removing the excess carbon from it.  Cast iron merely crumbles or splashes at forging temps.

Sorry Thomas, it was a very poorly put together post as I was rushing out the door. colloquially fire, burner, forge and furnace are swapped a lot in Aussie slang. it is hard to get out of the habit.

I was pontificating about points perhaps pertaining to post puddling procedure.

What happens in that period between finished puddling and starting to work the lump if you are in an industrial shop? I dont have any tools that are up to the job in my motley collection of gear. My logic was that bosses dont like people standing around waiting for the next piece, burning time and fuel. If you are standing back because of the heat the job is not getting done.

I was thinking more in terms of what would have been the main big industry that a folk song lyric would be aimed at. An iron works seemed like a good choice, with lots of apprentices getting told what to do.

Now that FM Phil has mentioned it, manufacturing gear for rail seems a likely candidate. Those wedges certainly look like pigs trotters.

Well generally you shingle the bloom directly from the furnace.  Sometimes they cut it in two first and then work the pieces either way you end up with a muck bar...

Those do look like trotters; I wonder if they were pickled before they were painted?

• 3 weeks later...