I Forge Iron

I want to get good enough to make these tools.

You sure can weld in a bit, just practice up welding a little first and follow the steps. I agree with Bigfoot about using a monometal for beginner projects. It gives a person time to learn the sequences without the complication of the weld. Not that the weld is all that tough but it is an added set of sequences making the whole project more complex.

This is just like most anything else, a set of basic steps in the right combination.

Frosty The Lucky.

For a lot of historic patterns it is easier to weld them up out of several different pieces, because that was how the were made. It is often difficult to good results using totally different techniques. It is doable, but avoiding forge welding often causes you more work than its worth, or you don't really get the look you were going for. Ask me how I know;-) I have done a lot of historic pieces attempting to use modern methods and materials, to make it easier:-) it has been my experience that if you want it to look like it was made in the past, you need to figure out how they would have done it, and do it that way. And a power hammer can help:-) YMMV;-) and punching the eye on a good sized axe ain't easy either... Historicly smiths weren't interested in making more work for themselves, they were interested in conserving materials and getting it done... Forge welding was every where in the past, start with little carpenter's belt axes and tomahawks, and work up to a broad axe like you pictured above.