I Forge Iron

blower q

Hey, i've decided to ditch my old oxiacetalyne gas setup because i can't efficiently heat up larger amounts of steel, so i have some natural lump coal and a brake drum i'm going to use, i just don't know what to do for a blower. how much volume of air would i need?
i live on long island so its not easy to find an old crank blower or blow motor. I mean, will something like a hair dryer work? i guess that seems like a pretty ghetto solution but i don't necessarily know what to use. maybe a shop vac or something?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Evan

^^cool lol I hadn't thought of a router speed controll + a blower.. that makes just about anything possible as a blower.

I personally usually use a hand crank blower on an old rivit forge, but as you said, there kinda hard to find.. so just make something work. for a while I was using a pipe drilled with 5 or so pin holes (about 1/34 dia) and an aircompressor with a valve off an old co2 tank. worked like a charm but often overloaded my compressor and made way to much noise..

Make sure you have a way to tune the air input because most blowdryers put out too much air for a typical small forge.

Other sources of electric blowers are car heater blowers---requires 12 VDC power source

Blowers built into things like copy machines

Bathroom exhaust fans, etc.

Compressed air is probably the most expensive way to get it as it wears the compressor which is expensive to fix or replace in order to do something that can be done by cheap things.

cool, sounds good. thanks for all the suggestions, i think for now until i find a more suitable replacement i'll just get a blow dryer with a speed setting, or get a speed router. thanks alot for the input, that was really the last variable for me to set this dealy up.
Thanks
Evan

my first forge was a portagrill with a hair dryer too. right now we've got a shop-vac with the tube in the other hole, but I've got ducttape covering all but a square half-inch or so of the intake, because I don't really need my bottom draft forge acting like some kind of horrible coal fountain

if you can find a squirrel cage and a motor, it's not terribly hard to rig up a plywood assembly for it, but if you've already got a hairdryer, just disable the heating coils and go to town.

Strip out an old tumble dryer for the fan, they're quiet, shift a lot of air too and you can hook up the fan to any motor you've got handy if the one it's got is broken. To control air blast either a light dimmer switch or a butterfly valve, slide gate etc etc.

Hmm. a dryer fan eh? how hard is that to get out of an old dryer? i just don't want to be tearing up someones bulk trash in their front lawn to get at it.. Thanks Ian, and Archie.
That forge blower looks nice but i don't want to be buying something proper, looks like it might cost a bit, since i'm in the teeter toter stages i don't want to let too much money in this. but thats good for the future.
thanks again.
Evan

i just don't want to be tearing up someones bulk trash in their front lawn to get at it..

Take the whole thing, leave no traces. Once you get home you can decide how to remove the motor and fan. The dryer case makes a nice work table. There are plenty of wires, switches, and timers that can be used for other projects. Besides, if everything on the dryer is a total loss, your trash man will still take it.