I Forge Iron

Hi,

Been a while since i posted something. I recently got a call from a friend of mine; he spotted an anvil standing outside his neighbors shed. Said when he bounced a golf ball off the face, (sorry), the ball bounced right back into his hand as well as ring a little.The only thing is is that from the pics i got from him, it looks like cast iron (it has no pritchel hole and a wide face). It has some writing on the side, but unfortunatly the rust is there and so is the thong :)

if anyone knows anything about anything, your advice would be appreciated

Thanks.

Ps. i think the writing ends in LBS??

post-54239-0-86611400-1402290918_thumb.j

post-54239-0-28683100-1402290923_thumb.j

post-54239-0-54516700-1402290927_thumb.j

post-54239-0-58927000-1402290931_thumb.j

the lettering make it look cast to me, you need to check underneath the horn and heel for a line where the two halves of the mould met.

there are some good cast steel anvils but most cast iron ones are ASOs.

certainly worth looking at.

give your friend a ball bearing to do another test if you can

always check for handling holes, normally on forged anvils there will be one under the horn and one under the heel going into the waist and often one in the bottom too, cast anvils dont have them normally, 

Thanks Iron Dwarf.

After looking at it for a while, the last three letters looks like 'SLDS'. Also the passage of writing looks too long to say 100 or 200lbs. I have had a look at possible answers, like Hadfields, or  Sheffields, but as soon as i saw them i ruled it out B)   

That anvil is cast no doubt. It looks like cast steel though. If its iron, it's quality cast iron. Not a lot of defects from what I can see. Iron and steel to me seem to look different when cast.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. The guy who was offering it changed his mind at virtually the last minute, and explained that it was his fathers. Well, ive been looking around for a while, and my friend from Torres Strait told me that his grand father is a mechanic, and is now retired. He also told me that he has four anvils, and he only uses one. I think the one he was talking about is around 150-200lb, and in good condition (by what he remembers). He also might offer it for free, as he uses only a smaller one. So its just how much stuff we bring back from the Coast (wink) that decides if we can pick it up or not. So yeah, thanks again guys, really quite surprised with this one.