I Forge Iron

Future blacksmith NC

rkujawa

Hey, thought I'd introduce myself. I've been very intrigued and interested in forging after watching a documentary "Secrets of the Viking sword". I stumbled across the movie on Netflix hoping to find Vikings the television series. Anyway I thought it might teach me something that I could apply towards a motorcycle project that I'm working on. I ended up watching the documentary three times thinking of how awesome it is to create something from raw materials. I was saving up for a better TIG welder but now I'm going to put the money towards a good blacksmithing setup and start hammering.

Excellent! Welcome.

To start blacksmithing all you need is a heat source, a hammer, a block of steel, and pliers or tongs. The heat source could be just about anything including a charcoal grill or camp fire. A starting hammer can be just about any hammer. Your anvil could be any block of steel, an old hitch off of a truck, or even a stake anvil. Pliers or tongs, and even a crosspeen hammer can likely be found at a yard sale or flea market. Starting with learning to make tools and decorative items is a good way to start, and will in the short and long run result in improved craftsmanship in whatever you end up making.

There are a lot of good introductory books on blacksmithing. That said, there is no substitute for hands-on experience with an experienced smith either through an introductory course or by an invitation to the smith's shop. By taking an introductory course you get a planned introduction to safely using tools as well as a well thought out introduction to basic techniques. I've seen a lot of people come and go from blacksmithing over the past 40 or so years, and my feeling is that many of those people quit blacksmithing due to frustration with trying to learn on their own, and frustration due to equipment that was poorly made and thus difficult and frustrating to use..... I would suggest contacting your local blacksmithing group to find out what learning experiences are available to you.

It is always advisable to join a local blacksmithing group, and take some introductory course(s) covering safety and beginning skills. Taking the opportunity to use equipment both in class and at local smiths will provide you with a better idea of what equipment works best for your work style.

To find blacksmithing groups near you, I would suggest checking the ABANA affiliates list http://www.abana.org/affiliates/affiliate_list.shtml there is likely at least one blacksmith group near you that supports learning about blacksmithing.

Hi neighbor!  Your closest regional sub-group will meet this Saturday, contact info on the website above.

Triangle Blacksmith Guild – Central NC, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. 
1st Saturday, even numbered months 

NCABANA is going to have the next state-wide meeting in Winston-Salem June 28th at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds, demos, lunch & tailgate sales, as well as a good time to get to know folks.

There is a huge farm show in Denton every Fourth of July weekend. There is a small nondescript demo shop with some high caliber talent manning it. Back under the trees there is a huge flea market, with a 100 tons of rusty old junk um, priceless anteeks, for sale, some at prices that only make you cry a little when you pull out your wallet. You can usually find a dozen leg vises, 50 anvils, and a bunch of forges for sale amongst the rust. You can not drive thru the gate during the day, so bring a big wheel hand truck or garden wagon to haul your scores out to the parking lot, or pay someone with a garden tractor & wagon to move it for you.

Thanks for the replies. I won't be able available for the ABANA meet this weekend or the 4th of July weekend but I'll try to get to Winston-Salem on the 28th.

I've got two books on the way that seem to be recommended often for beginners. My instincts tell me that I'm going to be obsessed with forging but I'm going to plan on building a charcoal forge on the cheap and make an improvised anvil from a sledge hammer I have. I'll fool around with this till I determine whether or not to invest in better equipment.

Welcome aboard RK, glad to have you. Hooking up with the locals is probably the fastest and best way to get a good handle on the craft and find the tools you need. I only have on thing to add to the just get started tool kit. Smooth faced hammer, waffle headed hammers do NOT make good forging hammers. There's no need to use a HEAVY hammer, especially beginning. It's like driving a car, first you learn to drive, then you try going faster or driving bigger heavier rigs. Once you've developed hammer control is time to start developing power.

I have considered using a waffle faced hammer for developing patterns in welded billets. However seeing as I'm not a bladesmith guy I don't have any need to develop pattern weld patterns so Ill just leave the idea on one of those back shelves in my head. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

The Deutsches Klingen Museum in Solingen has a display of set hammers used to make patterns in pattern welded steel.  I've been thinking of using a couple of bush hammers cut in half to make a few patterning sets....(a couple as they usually have a different spacing on either end and so 2 you could have the same pattern on both sides of a billet.