I Forge Iron

The forge is ready to go

I finished my first attempt at a forge the other day and we will move it outside today.  The stand is made of scrap wood that I had piled up behind the shop.  I will see how this blower works but I strongly suspect it was made for one of those forge BBQs and it may be undersized.  I have my eyes open for dead appliances with blowers.

The forge is going to be outside for now but I plan to move it under a carport like structure we built next to a shipping container when I make a chimney for it.  

I have an anvil arriving in a couple of days.  I will take the tractor down the road to my neighbor in the firewood business and bum a chunk of tree trunk for the stand.

Things are falling into place.

post-280-0-36639400-1400682908_thumb.jpg

Sorry not an "attempt" that's a forge!  May not be what you most need/like but it is a forge.

If you are using charcoal you won't need much in the way of a blower; if you are using coal you will need more air than charcoal.

Is it possible to sling the brake drum under the table?  It would make it a lot easier to rake fuel in/out of the firepot.

One of my first projects is going to make some retaining "clips" like what used to be used for undermount china sinks.  The deck is not fastened to the frame so it can be lifted out and flipped over.  The fire pot can then be centered on the cutout on the underside and held in place by the clips tack welded to the underside of the deck.

I was paying attention when you suggested the undermount idea earlier.  Thanks for the tip.

That's a fine-looking forge.  I always like to see a big table like that.  The only caution I'd give is to elevate the forge on a couple of regular red bricks when you finally get it into place.  Even treated wood will draw up moisture from the ground and rot, so putting a couple bricks between the wood and ground will make it last a very long time.

Can't wait to see it all lit up!

Yeah, all that's missing to make that a proper forge is a fire. It'll work a treat for you. flush mounting the fire pot will improve it significantly and make it easier to deepen the pot if you need deep. Charcoal likes deep so it's a maybe.

I'd use it with a happy smile.

Frosty The Lucky.