I Forge Iron

My New Helper

Here are a few pics of the helper I am currently making. Still work in progress but hope to get some time to finish this weekend. The design is heavily based on John B's. I have changed the design a bit due to skill and tool availability.

14198781234_44ae6217e4_n.jpg

14175729906_85e107eef2_n.jpg

14012212388_2ea3bcc7c7_n.jpg

14012241180_7967cd323e_n.jpg

Will provide more details if folks are interested.

Cheers, Chris.

Ok, a few more details. Front and back plates 10m. Base 12mm, dies 25mm x 50mm O1 (maybe not the best but available). Side posts 25mm square.

Tools used:

Bandsaw
Drill press
Hacksaw
Cold chisel
Stick welder
Taps
Files
Countersink bit
Kiln

The plates are 100mm wide by 130mm tall. I have the option to cut out sections of the sides to pass stock through the sides.

The dies have bees hardened and tempered (after photos taken). They have m12 bolts for striking buttons. To save expensive steel I used machine screws to attach swege die faces to mild steel die bodies.

Still to do:

Removable plate with hardy stake (removable so I can use in my yet to be built treacly hammer :)
Paint
Shims for front plate - bits of beer can.....

This was my first try cutting plate with a cold chisel, first try tapping holes and first try heat treating so a big learning curve.

Regards, Chris.