I Forge Iron

Spotted this the other day

I was getting a couple tires mounted at a used tire place near Safford AZ and spotted this under a bunch of car parts. I tried to talk the owner out of it but he wasn't letting it go for nothing. He told me it was given to him by a friend with the promise to never sell it but pass it on when the time comes. I thought It was a unique looking and interesting.

post-51891-0-40082600-1400457703_thumb.j

From the appearance in the picture; it is a complete bridge anvil with a coating of surface rust.  From what I can make out from the photo it appears to have seen some use. Part of the manufacturers name is visible, the 'WELL SUPPLY C...."  A rare to see or come by item in my area (South Eastern Ontario.)  Thanks for the post.

Don

Yup it's all there and in very surprisingly good shape!  Most I've seen/owned have been beat to flinders *and* were cast iron not steel.  A neat trick I once saw in Stroud OK was where a 5th generation smith had built a frame to hold one flipped over---the original face was beaten up but the base was smooth and made a good "table" to flatten plow points to.  I use mine to hold items in the hardies. (currently a 100# CI ball and at the other end a bench mount whitney punch)

Nice find.  I'd definitely continue using that tire-changer and hope that when the day comes that he wants to pass it on, he thinks of you first.  Maybe forge him something nice to display on his desk simply as a "thank you" for taking such good care of that baby.

I got a 6" post vise out of an *old* car repair place once (old as it had been in continuous business at the same spot since 1918! and so of course they had a complete smithing set up left over from when that was the way to fix then newfangled horseless carriages!---also wood working tools from way back when the bodies were often wood based)   Most of the other tooling was buried in dark corners but the vise had been in use continuously and had a hammered patina over every inch of the upper section.

Nice find.  I'd definitely continue using that tire-changer and hope that when the day comes that he wants to pass it on, he thinks of you first.  Maybe forge him something nice to display on his desk simply as a "thank you" for taking such good care of that baby.

That would be a great plan and I would probably do something just like that. But I recently moved away from that area. In northern Nevada now. Sure would like to have it though.