I Forge Iron

Beeswax as a copper finish?

I want to experiment with using beeswax to coat my copper penannular brooches to prevent tarnishing, but my question is this: can a beeswax coating be applied without darkening or blackening the piece? I tend to polish them to a high shine with rouge, and I want to preserve this shine with a thin coating, but I'm worried that heating it to apply the wax will spoil the finish. What is the best way to go about this? Any advice is much appreciated 

Either warm in an oven / toaster oven, warm enough to melt the wax, but not cause any colour change. Beeswax has a fairly low melting point.

Or, have you tried the good old beeswax, linseed oil & turpentine mixture? Not quite as hard/durable a finish as straight wax, but it's applied cold.

I don't particularly want to use a clear coat as they apparently tend to flake off and look a little unpleasant, but I think I will try the turp/linseed oil/beeswax mix. If that doesn't work out, I may just shell out for some Renaissance Wax. Thanks for the advice. 

I like Treewax as a durable clear wax finish. It's Carnuba wax and is the stuff they use to armor bowling ally lanes. Applied to coffee hot steel, or whatever, it becomes very fluid, fills very small gaps and wipes clean leaving a thin tough as nails coat.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...