I Forge Iron

What where these tongs used for

matto

On that 3rd picture is there a bevel on the hollow tube part?  If so it was a punch for leather or gasket materials.

I have one that looks very similar but is solid instead of a tube and I use it for holding sheet metal; original use???

or it may have held a "softer" base for the punch to come down upon; or both, or...

The neat thing about custom work is that it's custom; another is that you do not need to use them as they originally were; you can use them for any task they look like they would work for even if it's decoration on the wall of the shop.

We don't know the scale, but the first two pics remind me of a form of farriers' brazing tongs. The shoe was held and the elongated jaw applied pressure to the calk or 'grab' at the same time. The calk was held in place while the forge braze was effected.

The fourth pic reminds me of what we call "ball tongs" except that my ball tongs have slight curves to them. One jaw is hot split and the other is narrowed and centered over the split jaw. You have a "three point landing" on the ball shape.