I Forge Iron

An Excavation

My grandfather was the village blacksmith in my hometown. After the shop closed my father moved the equipment to "the farm." The building burned down and we lost most everything. I think my brother has the anvil but I got 2 vises, a small Southern Crescent anvil and recently I moved the forge to my back yard.

I'm going to attempt to restore the forge and set myself up a smithy.

Click the link to see the pictures that I have taken so far.

Excavation and Restoration

Looks like quite a project. You might want to simply take the design and re-create it with new materials. by the tie you are done with that piece it might be more new than old anyway. I'd keep it for sentimental reasons, but not restore it. Just my opinion. And welcome to the group. Many fun days ahead indeed.

Does that forge have a box for coal or charcoal underneath it?

No. I put the 2X6 frame in there to keep it all together. I didn't want the bricks to fall out when we lifted it.

The area underneath is where the ash falls. In the pics you can see me cleaning it out.

Looks like quite a project. You might want to simply take the design and re-create it with new materials. by the tie you are done with that piece it might be more new than old anyway. I'd keep it for sentimental reasons, but not restore it. Just my opinion. And welcome to the group. Many fun days ahead indeed.

It shouldn't be too bad. I'm only going to grind the rusty spots and replace the tuyere. Then put the bricks back with some refractory mortar.

I want to use the one my grandfather used. I'll take more pictures as I go along...but I'm in no hurry.

That's cool, I love old family stuff, I have a great colection of tools, guns and various artifacts from my grandfathers, some of it is totally worthless in $ value but to me, there isn't enough money in the world to replace it.
There is something about using something that your ancestors used, it can't really be described. When I shoot my grandfathers gun or when I ride his Harley, it just isn't like anything else, I ride my bike and it's just another ride, but on his it's special.
I say go for it, no matter what it takes to restore it, you won't regret it.

welder19