I Forge Iron

Start up and shut down

stovestoker

I was wondering. About how long does it take to get a coal forge started and then shut down again? Just looking for an average. I get home from work at 4:30 and I'm am hesitant about firing up the forge that late. I don't want to.waste coal as it is hard to come by.

Start up depends on how you build your fire. Here I can be going with coal in 15-20 minutes.

Shut down is pulling the fire out of the fire pot and putting it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. That leaves a clean but HOT forge. Fire is out in under 5 minutes, forge takes longer to cool to room temperatures so it is safe.

No coal is wasted as clinker, ash goes to the bottom of the bucket, and the coke and coal can be recovered and added as wet material to control a fire from spreading, or let it dry out and use it as fuel.

I did not realize that you could reuse coal after it has been doused. It seems obvious now. The reason I was needing this info is because we are under a constant burn band. I can have a fire in a barbecue grill or contained pit. Which means I am ok working the forge. But right now I am building a shop, so I am working under a shade tree. It is very windy and very dry here so good days are rare. that means when conditions are right I want to be able to jump on the forge. I am basing all my past forgings on charcoal. which as you know blows sparks everywhere. I scored 100 pounds of coal from a guy and have been dying to use it.

I don't want to come across as trying to talk you out of using a coal forge. I love using solid fuel forges, and do so often. But your situation sounds like it's the ideal use of a gas forge... Come home from work, spark it up and you're hammering in 5 minutes. Shut it off, and you're done.

I have to agree with Neil, your situation is a gas forge situation. Even if you can build and operate a solid fuel forge within the law you don't want to be THAT guy. Things can get away from you no matter how much experience and how careful you are, some things are just better to avoid.

Ask me how I know this on a gut level sometime, PM me, I don't want to run through the story in the forum . . . again.

Frosty The Lucky.