I Forge Iron

TPAAAT in action.

So I've been beating the bushes for a bit looking for a bigger anvil. I've seen a few, had promises that they'd bring one by and so on. Up until this point they have either been junk, the person never followed up bringing it by even after I've checked back repeatedly, I haven't had the funds when they showed up, or I'd need to take out a loan big enough to fund a small aircraft carrier to pay what they wanted.. There was a real clean Fisher at the PABA hammer in the other weekend I would have grabbed, but for what ever reason I never thought to bring any cash with me. Anvil didn't last 15 minutes after I saw it...

Anyways the other day things changed. A neighbor of one of my customers ( who is supposed to have an anvil I can have, but he never comes thru...) knows a scrap guy who supposedly had an anvil. So last fall I go with him to see this guy. He's got a nice 130 lb anvil, but doesn't know if he's going to keep it or sell it, and supposedly he already has some one interested in the anvil. No big deal, we chat a bit, I tell him to let me know if he wants to sell it and the other guy doesn't come thru, and to keep me in mind if he comes across any others.

Fast forward to last week. I'm talking to the neighbor again after finishing a small job for my customer and mention in passing when he sees his friend the scarp guy, to mention I'm still looking for an anvil. Well yesterday the neighbor sees me working at the house again and says the scrap guy is ready to sell. So I make arrangements to go today to grab it even though I'm supposed to go out of town tomorrow on a job.

Here's my new "toy". It's supposed to be 130 lbs, rings nice and has decent rebound. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen offered for sale. Guy wanted $200 for the anvil and I thorough that was more than fair. (Ok I had a hard time not stuffing the cash in his hand and running away with the anvil as fast as I could before he regained his senses...) I haven't had time to wire wheel it or anything, No obvious marks on the anvil.

Any idea what I might have from the quick picts I shot before I had to take off?

post-25608-0-36773500-1397501611_thumb.j  post-25608-0-48899700-1397501629_thumb.j  post-25608-0-59579800-1397501637_thumb.j  post-25608-0-19409300-1397501647_thumb.j

Same customer has a really nice ash or oak tree that came down in Sandy that a neighbor is cutting up for fire wood. As soon as I get back, I'm whacking off a nice chunk for the anvil and dragging it out of the woods. I'd have done it today but my hand truck isn't non the job site. If I get a chance later today to swing by the job again, I may hack off 2 or 3 nice sized pieces for the anvil and possibly my other post vise before the neighbor cuts it all up and splits it.

Not sure about the flats. I'll have to look if I get a chance later on to see if there are or not. I'm playing phone tag with a vendor at the moment. If I can reach them before they close, I'll run out and grab some stuff I need to take with me tomorrow for the trip and swing back up to the shop on my way home.

I'm dying to take the saw to that tree and get the anvil up on the stump before I have to leave for Va. tomorrow. With my luck I'll come back and he'll have split every piece of it up while I was away for the rest of the week.

Here's a closer look at the feet Thomas.

post-25608-0-73803100-1397525085_thumb.j  post-25608-0-80684400-1397525100_thumb.j

I got a quick chance to hit it with a wire brush, overall length is about 26", tip to tip, length of face is about 16", width of the face is about 3 3/4". Edges look pretty clean.

post-25608-0-86804900-1397525212_thumb.j  post-25608-0-33531100-1397525228_thumb.j  post-25608-0-74584600-1397525279_thumb.j

Ivan a Trenton was my 1st thought as well, but It's been a while since I got a good close look at one and I'm still learning and there are plenty of makers I haven't seen yet. Trenton's seem some what common in my area from what I understand. No clear marks any where that I can find. There might be one small mark on a side, but the sides are so rough it's hard to tell if it's deliberate, or just some random marks. I circled the area but it may not show up well. Mark sort of looks like the letter y with a loop at the bottom.

post-25608-0-65376200-1397525560_thumb.j

DSW,

Good looking buy.

Now that you've got it cleaned up a bit (I wouldn't do any more cleaning for now, if any at all), sprinkle some flour all over the sides and feet anvil and gently dust it off.  Often, that reveals a lot of detail. That made the lettering and serial # pop out more on my old Hay-Budden.

Good-looking anvil. I wouldn't worry too much about those three hammer marks just yet. You will be working forward of the two and aft of the one. That is where the last user worked from the photo. I always wanted to make my PW face pristine. Thankfully I just left it alone and used it.