I Forge Iron

Old Iron/steel anvil and ASOs

Good Eve all, 

I was looking at the ASOs that Harbor Freight sells and I was thinking I remembered something about "newer" post 1920's anvils were a cast iron body with a steel plate. Am I mis-remembering or are these also considered ASOs? 

Thanks

Newer anvils were generally a one piece tool steel top welded to a mild steel base. (sometimes even arc welded at the waist.)

However two brands: the Fisher and the Vulcan were made with a steel face plate heated to welding temp and the cast iron poured onto it to get a good bond---a very tricky process; you may want to research the Fisher Patents.  However these anvils pre and post dated the 1920's so I don't know what you are thinking of?

You could probably replicate the process for under US$100,000, (learning curve, equipment, fuel costs, etc) and probably produce lower grade anvils for about the same price as solid cast steel ones of much higher grades.

Fishers are generally considered quite good anvils while the vulcans are not rated as high; but both are considered real anvils as it's the steel face that makes the difference.

If you look through the old Sears & Roebuck catalogs, say the early 1900's (reprinted in 1969) you will see that they sell the complete range of top of the line anvils---made by Hey Buden and rebranded at one point through cast iron ASOs and the price reflects the quality levels.

Thanks Thomas, I am not looking to do this my self I was just wondering. I have been told that the high carbon content in cast iron absorbs the energy of the hammer blow but I could not reconcile that with the Fisher and Vulcan anvils having so much cast iron but not being branded ASOs.

Until I can afford a good anvil I am making do with a RR track chunk. I am about to add some weight in the form of 120 odd lbs of steel plate under the track. The rail section is around 60+ lbs for a total of 180 lbs + stump.   

post-35414-0-39398700-1397438010_thumb.p

The thing I like about the rail being the top bit is I do not have to heat treat it! I do not think I could get 100 lbs of steel up to non-magnetic for any meaningful time and then I do not have a rushing river handy to quench. There are some very nice chunks of steel there. 

I just recently sold my Northern Tools ASO.  When I got it the aso was so soft it would dent and flake so I took some leaf spring from a simi trailer (3/4" thick) and welded it to the top.  It didn't work all that well.  I built on from a piece of RR track, it was light years better.  Later I had a wild hair to weld a top so I removed the spring plat and started topping it with 309 stainless.  (preheat the anvil)  I didn't have time or inclination to finish the project.  The long and short, don't waste your money on junk. 

TP wrote: "If you look through the old Sears & Roebuck catalogs, say the early 1900's (reprinted in 1969) you will see that they sell the complete range of top of the line anvils---made by Hay-Budden and rebranded at one point through cast iron ASOs and the price reflects the quality levels."

Just so happen to have that very reprint on the shelf. Catalog No. 110 from 1900 shows 3 levels of pricing.

Imported English Peter Wright wrought iron/steel face 9.5 cents per pound, from 85 to 500 pounds. Side clip farrier anvils 12 cents per pound. "The most popular anvil in the world."

Domestic Trentons from Columbus, USA 9 cents per pound, 85 pounds & up. "The body is made of the best quality wrought iron, with an extra heavy steel plate welded to the body by an electric process, which makes it practically a solid steel anvil." 

Sorry, no ASO's. The cheapest that they carry is a "No. 80478, Cast iron anvil, with steel face. The face of this anvil is one piece of solid English tool steel, thoroughly welded to the body with a patent process. The horn is covered with, and it's extremity made entirely of cast steel. The face and horn are then accurately ground and tempered. We do not guarantee this anvil, but it will give satisfaction for light work." 20 to 90 pounds, about 7 cents a pound for the biggest. The 30 pound version is the one included in "Our $15.50 outfit of Blacksmith's tools."