I Forge Iron

sharpening anvil

In what country?  I doubt they are called that in France or Italy.  As I recall they are called scythe anvils in my books on historic agriculture methods.  In the USA I believe that the denglestok term comes from the PA Dutch (german).  Anyone have one of the 100 year old Sears & Roebuck catalog reprints to see if they are listed there and under what name?

Un-able to find it it the Sears catalog. Anvils In America does list them and calls it "Scythe anvil" and states they were used primarily in Europe to sharpen scythes and sickles by hammering the blade edge. This worked better than stone and file work and lasted 2 - 3 times due to work hardening and the drawing out of metal. (Paraphrase from AIA)

Spell check in-op hope I got it good enough to read

The horn with grease/oil and sharp sand was another method, applied with a piece of wood; boy an I glad that 1: I don't have to scythe stuff and 2: we have modern abrasives and can afford to wear out blades and replace them!

(Last time I scythed our yard I ended up with shoulder surgery as it was different enough movement that a bone spur in my shoulder kicked up a fuss---now my shoulder looks like I have toothmarks from a very snaggle tooth predator...)

Thanks for checking the Sears Catalog;  I often reference them as an example of what was available 100 years ago---like they carry ASOs! (as well as very nice anvils)