I Forge Iron

Press Effectivness?

caintuckrifle

Would something like this be any good for blacksmithing as a fly type press? Too small? Thoughts, ideas, and opinions welcome.

www.vintageprojects/machine-shop/press-shop-2-ton.html

Has anyone built a small flypress? from what I understand there is a lot of technical details that go into one, so I am wondering if anyone has built one that works well.
Pictures and thoughts welcome.

The problem is the screw. You need a multi-start screw. The last time Grant Sarver and I talked about it we figured it couldn't be done in a standard lathe.

I then offered to make the screws and nuts in my CNC Bridgeport but there was no interest whatsoever. It would have been a big program to write and I already have a flypress so I shelved it. Unfortunately I couldn't possibly fit anything like that in this year.

Someone here did build a supposed flypress though, maybe you can find it with a search. No idea how or if it worked. I recomend saving up for a good used one.

A fly press (or a screw press) is good for repeated processes, like stamped texturing, slitting, squaring, that sort of thing.  If you're looking to draw a bar or billet, that needs more power (IMHO).  An air powered jack press can do it, but not as well as a "real" press.  Over on the Bladesmith Forum there is a pinned topic about an air powered mini press.  It's about 500 entries deep, so there is some interest in it.  You should have a look.

Geoff

A fly press (or a screw press) is good for repeated processes, like stamped texturing, slitting, squaring, that sort of thing.  If you're looking to draw a bar or billet, that needs more power (IMHO).  An air powered jack press can do it, but not as well as a "real" press.  Over on the Bladesmith Forum there is a pinned topic about an air powered mini press.  It's about 500 entries deep, so there is some interest in it.  You should have a look.

Geoff

A screw press has a much slower screw than a flypress and is not nearly as useful for forging. 

You can't build one in a cost effective scenario. Old world anvils sells the real deal for a bit more than 2.50$ a pound with very reasonable freight. Guys pay this money for anvils all day long. Anvils just sit there, a fly press is a squishing machine. Bite the bullet, save your bills, get the right one the first time. Quiet, precise, controllable hand power.

You can't build one in a cost effective scenario. Old world anvils sells the real deal for a bit more than 2.50$ a pound with very reasonable freight. Guys pay this money for anvils all day long. Anvils just sit there, a fly press is a squishing machine. Bite the bullet, save your bills, get the right one the first time. Quiet, precise, controllable hand power.

Yup. Quiet, accurate, controllable. I have pierced 1/2" square on the diamond and passed 1/2" square on the diamond through it. Yes I had to upset it. 

I don't think I could have done it by hand.