I Forge Iron

Frankenslam!

After many years of wishing, many months of collecting, 3 knives given as exchange and two weeks of very heavy lifting and some serious welding I present almost finished Frankenslam. Anvil weighs 226 kg's and hammer weighs 35 kg's. So looking at a about a 70# hammer.
Everything comes apart into 7 pieces for transportation if I ever have to move. All I'm waiting for now is the drive shaft to be turned for the motor and it'll be running in a week or two.

1_zpscc7e6f36.jpg

Thanks. Yes the top and bottom dies will be able to change out. Also designed so that it can go higher for using tools. Am getting the motor tonight so will get a vid up as soon as it's running.

That's very nice.  I've always been a sucker for the guilded-helve hammers, and like the small footprint of your design.

Is that hole in the side of the anvil a pass-through?  With it there, I'd be sorely pressed to use it as part of a "quick" detach lower-die set up.

Very much looking forward to seeing it run.

I like it.  Looks stout and compact.   How does it hit ?   I too am a fan of the bolt together model as mine is built that way.  Just about every piece is bolted down. Works great.   I would recommend though, that you either bolt the machine down and possibly over something like a 1" rubber mat to save your floor.    I have mine in a garage, and it only has about four inches of concrete, so I opted to cut through the concrete and mount it in the dirt as I was sure that the concrete would not hold up.  I'm glad I did because after I got the 2hp motor going and saw it running, it sure makes a bang.   What kind of motor do you plan to use ?   And is the frame filled with anything ?  I filled mine with sand to add weight and reduce noise.

-Bruno

@ VaughnT - no it's just part of the fly press that I might remove at a later stage.

@ Jacques - will try and take a few close up pics this weekend.

@ Windancer - vid posted rest to come

@ Bruno - Thanks - bolted to the floor and am using a 2.2 kw single phase motor at 1400 Rpm. Am planning adding more weight later. That's why the anvil has holes.

Looks Awesome!   I do like the compact design,  lots more perspective in the video.   What did you use for a ram guide ?  You have a square ram, but a rounded guide?   Brass bearing (babbit?) , or uhmv ?   I ended up using 4 pieces of UHMV with adjustment available.

post-15955-0-75053500-1394706415_thumb.j

post-15955-0-15546900-1394706428_thumb.j

Thanks Bruno

The ram is square welded to the guide sleeve. Will have to lift the guide by 2 inches and add a leaf in the spring. To much whip in the up swing and the big part of the ram is hitting the guide at full speed. But she hits hard!

• 3 months later...

You will use that tool for the rest of your blacksmithing life. Seems to work just fine and it sure has a smaller footprint. I can remember when got mine installed and running how excited I was [and still am!] to finally have a power hammer.

You did a great job and I know how much work went into it- and now you can reap the huge benefits for many. many years.

Fine job!

Dave