I Forge Iron

First hack at a corkscrew

Mycroft

On a whim, with no planning at all, I attempted a corkscrew as a gift for my wife for Valentine's day.  I used a bandsaw to cut the top part that became the heart, and over did it a little.  Originally I was going to make the heart even, but as I was attempting to do that, this showed up, and I liked the way it looked.  The tapering down to the screw part is ugly, and honestly, I just didn't feel like dressing it up as this was a first go and there was plenty else wrong.  Finally, I have the screw going the wrong way.  So it works, but messes me up whenever I try to use it.  The heart makes an easy spot to pull from when removing the cork.

post-15581-0-72530400-1394375050_thumb.j

I like it, nice heart. Congrats on the corkscrew helix, I only get one out of three thin and even enough to pull a cork.

Someone taught me a trick, for getting the right handed, left handed thing correct on a corkscrew.

Hold up your right hand, thumb up, let your thumb fall over to the left, that's the direction you should start the corkscrew helix to make a left handed corkscrew.

Opposite hand for a right handed corkscrew, hold up your left hand, let your thumb fall to the right, that's the direction to start a right handed one.

Easy to remember at the forge, and lefty corkscrews have an appeal to lefty wine drinkers, I'll stamp an L on handle.

Nice, I have to try that heart handle

Pretty darned nice. Cork screws aren't easy to get right and you got it mostly right. It's good to see you left enough meat on the heart to be strong enough to turn and pull it. And heck it's a valentine's day gift so the heart isn't perfectly even, that's no issue. Our wives have to love anything we make them, especially for holidays and special days, it's part of the deal. You get an attaboy

The whole left vs right screw issue is something I think a person should be able to figure out in a few seconds, if not then more wine probably isn't the answer. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.