I Forge Iron

Door pulls

mike-hr

Overall size 2 x 10 x 4.5 inches.
I had a windfall of a bunch of used brass nuts and bots, and copper flat washers. I designed this project to help use up some of them. I like the industrial laminate look. It was a good exercise in precise slot punching and drifting. I softened all the edges of the nuts on a flap wheel, the piece feels real good in the hand. My buddy Mark came over for a cold one last week, and we ended up forging a 60 degree bottom swedge to make the custom 3-sided forged heads for the mounting bolts. We modified an old monkey wrench to we could grab the bolt heads for tightening. Wax finish.
'>

post-1-0-00918400-1393975308_thumb.jpg

Greetings Mike,

The more I look at your handles the more I like them..   Great look and I love the layered look with the multi-metal fasteners....   Great detail and the stand with the squashed balls adds a lot to your display...   Very original...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks folks!  There's always a lesson to be learned. I typed in steampunk to bing images, and got pretty amazed. I remember watching that old tv show 'wild wild west', with, um, Robert Conrad? There was a recurring arch-villain who made all these nifty gadgets, before 3-phase electric power. That's probably where my fascination with rivets, bolt patterns, and layered metal got planted. I guess I'm a grey beard steampunk, and never had a clue...I've got fair smithing skills, this might be a fun avenue to drive down for a bit. 

mh

Thanks folks!  There's always a lesson to be learned. I typed in steampunk to bing images, and got pretty amazed. I remember watching that old tv show 'wild wild west', with, um, Robert Conrad? There was a recurring arch-villain who made all these nifty gadgets, before 3-phase electric power. That's probably where my fascination with rivets, bolt patterns, and layered metal got planted. I guess I'm a grey beard steampunk, and never had a clue...I've got fair smithing skills, this might be a fun avenue to drive down for a bit. 

mh

Go for it Mike.  Steampunk is a great stylistic movement with lots of really talented, imaginative people involved in making some really cool looking stuff.  You would probably have fun pursuing it and might be able to make a few bucks as well. Steampunk originated as an odd offshoot of Science Fiction literature and has really become a fairly active subculture with it's own literature, fashion and even it's own music.  Just for fun, here is a link to a youtube video of a performer/band that is popular with Steampunks.

These guys are from San Diego, I think.

For the record, I am not involved in the movement myself, I just find it interesting.