I Forge Iron

Can you guess the size?

Curly

Looking at buying this fly press, however it's too far away to justify a visit without committing to buying and the seller can't see any numbers that might relate to its size. So what do think? Looks a bit small to me after looking at some 8 ton Nortons and so on.

post-29379-0-16653700-1393883906_thumb.j

So just not sure wether that would be considered a small or medium press?

Hi Tim, Looks relatively small in fly press terms somewhere in the 1 to 2 range, still useful, but usually fly presses,for 'smithing, the bigger the better, its the throat size that's more of a question when you are going to use it for 'smithing, this is not their original purpose.

If that is a tool to fit the press, the spigot diameter is usually 1", so you may be able to do a bit of estimating size wise from that.

The ball carriers not look original, and the working Lengths may have been extended to give it more oomph.

Always difficult to judge from a single picture

Thanks John, confirmed what I thought. If I'm going to buy something I want to make sure I can get the most use out of it. So l've just managed to source this Norton No.8A which has the deep throat at a bit of a bargain price. Will be using it for a mixture of forging and sheet metal work so hopefully it will will be up to the job. Should be picking it early next week. now just got to work out how to get it into place in my tiny workshop without a forklift!

Might also be worth mentioning, the seller also has a Denbigh No. 5 for sale for £175 or £150 if these two are brought at the same time. Can either be collected from Bracknell or I might be able to collect it and bring it down to Dorset.

post-29379-0-68472000-1393937420_thumb.j

I also have the same problem of small space for my metal working shop and now I have to cut about half a metre from my working bench to accommodate the flypress. For the price you describe I would take the two presses. Deal with the lack of space later on I am sure you will find use for both presses. What is better than a flypress? At least two... The same principal applies to other tools for the shop...