I Forge Iron

Finally found a local anvil, post vice too

I ran into an antique dealer who had a line on an anvil. I told him I was interested and would like to see it. Turns out it is a 200# Vulcan in great shape. I know it's not top of the line brand but it was in too good of shape not to get it and he made me a good deal, I think anyway. I'll try to post a pic from my phone if it will work. Anyway he threw in a pair of big tongs(40") for 375 total. I figure that comes to around 1.70ish a pound for the anvil. Anyway I got it home and cleaned it up and it has really good rebound, I was surprised. Guess I got lucky! Well except for behind the pritchel hole, she's pretty dead there. There are 2 chips and 2 dings but for the most part very flat and straight!
And the post vice is nice and heavy, 5" and marked with a C in a triangle. Champion, maybe?

Wow, $375 for all that?  You definitely got a great deal, and something I would never have expected from an antiques dealer!

The vise is a Columbian and looks to be all there.  The Vulcan anvil is very much a top-tier maker.  They got a bad rap because there was a period where they had QC problems resulting in very porous anvils.  However, if you're not swinging a sledge-hammer on it all the time, I seriously doubt you'll have any problems.  The overall condition is as close to excellent as you could ask for.  I'm sure you'll have many years of good service out of her.

Those tongs are sweet.  Buying them new would set you back at least $40.  The jaw shape is great for holding flat stock, and I'd re-shape them to fit the size you expect to use a lot.  Then I'd cut off the excess reins and use that metal for a project, or as reins on another set of tongs.  At 40", they're too long for anything but serious furnace work; trimming them back to 16" or so will make them balance nicely.

Thanks for the replies and info! Much appreciated. Sorry I meant to include in the original post that the vise was a separate purchase, it was 80$, the anvil and tongs were 375$. I negotiated him down from 450, and he threw in the tongs to sweeten it. ;-)
So if I credit 40$ for the tongs I only paid 1.68$ a lb for my new anvil! Whoop!!

I took the vise apart when I got home and cleaned and greased it and it works perfect, seems very stout.
I'm glad to hear the vote of confidence on the Vulcan too, I guess I'd read a bad review from someone at some point but mine bounces a hammer with authority. When I saw how flat and nice the edges were I knew it hadn't been abused much. And it's quiet too.
Think I'll take the advise on the monster tongs too. The way they are set now they were used for 1" stock! I'll adjust them down and shorten them. They'll be heavy duty for sure, the pin is around 1/2" thick.
I can't wait to set my new forge up and get to 'smithin!! :-)

If those tongs are set to hold 1" wide stock, I wouldn't do anything more than cut the reins shorter.  A great percentage of your blacksmithing projects will revolve around 1" wide mild steel, so you're set up with a great tool that will see a lot of use.  

The boxed lower jaw will prevent the hot metal from flipping out the side as you forge on edge, and the flat top jaw can be easily heated and bent so the tongs can hold 1x1/4 or 1x3/8 or 1x1/2 stock.  You could even use them for 3/4" wide stock without too much slippage.

1x1/4" tongs like yours are the next thing on my list to make.

Thanks for the suggestions VaughnT, that sounds like a plan.
Some additional info on my anvil, under the tail it has the number 42, I'm assuming 1942 the year it was built? Also the little bit of dressing I did on the face threw a high carbon spark. Any know any info on the different years of production?

Got my "stump" put together for my base. I had some old 2x12 scraps leftover from our house construction so I put them to good use. I glued and screwed them then put a band around the top with a bolt for a tensioner and tightened it up. Not sure if I'll band the bottom too or just leave it as is. Tomorrow evening I'll forge some staples to secure the anvil down. I have some leftover rebar that should be perfect for that.

post-4280-0-45205900-1394674835_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-76769800-1394674898_thumb.jp

If those tongs are for 1 inch thick stock they are a bit much for what most of us do, you might want to consider trying to sell them or consign them at some antique outlet and buy smaller tongs for your use. Large tongs are also a garden art item if you can incorporate them there, I fully expect to be blasted by many here for such comments, but I like light tongs for working with much of the old stuff is more difficult to use than it needs to be.

Thanks guys. 1" stock is bigger than I usually use, but I think I'll hang on to them for those few times I need them. They should be about right for making hardies too with a little adjustment. I have a few other tongs but they are only for 1/2" and smaller stock. I still might hang the big pair in the shop for display when not in use, hadn't thought of that!

use her well, i have a 150lb Vulcan and it is a good anvil plus you don't hear the heavy ringing all day.  Mine also has great rebound.  if you are not paying attention it will put the peen back in your face.

They do have a tool steel face plate on them.  The vise is a good one also it is a columbian like Vaughn T said.  $80 is very reasonable.

Thanks Matto, I finally got to do some real forging on it today and man is it quiet! My old Wilkinson rings like a bell but the Vulcan is nice and easy on the ears. Moves metal real good too! I drew out some rebar and made these staples to attach the base. I started the holes by burning them in, then cooling them and driving them in the rest of the way. It's solid as a rock now :)

post-4280-0-33100200-1394763248_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Wernher, I'm real happy with it just need more smithy time! :)
I made a hold down the other day with adjustable bolts to hold different size stock. The pics aren't very good, hard to tell the handle is a "T". It has a spring attached to the base and goes through the hardy. The large round bar is gonna be a couple of hammers once I get my big gas forge put together. Never enough time...

post-4280-0-66844400-1395552342_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-23789300-1395552425_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-37025500-1395552485_thumb.jp