I Forge Iron

Little how to do the worm video. Corkscrews

zachsmithjohnson

You can actually see it got quite a ways up in his cheek. He is very lucky it didn't catch him in the neck. I have a scar on my chest from a 9" angle grinder that grabbed while cutting off pipe plug tops. You have absolutely no time to react fast enough to stop it.

Good video. Uri Hofi was in my shop a few years ago and made an extra long shanked corkscrew. One of his teachers, Alfred Habermann, used to do the same thing for demos. As I recall, Hofi made the entire worm on the anvil with only hammer and heat. He didn't use any sort of mandrel.

I haven't tried it.

Frank,

He did a photo demo showing the corkscrew on here.

I believe this is what you were shown.

Brian Pierson

• 1 month later...

Yeah I learned the hard way with grinders too. I was cutting grooves into a rack holder i was making for work and the thing grabbed, launched, hit my face shield and put a nice groove in that, hit my chest, and tore through coveralls, shirt, and skin. Burned for 3 days and itched for a week. And mine still had the cover on it, just came back on me wrong.