I Forge Iron

Lead hammer for hardy hot cut hammer

Jacob Nothstine

I would suggest to never cut all the way off, so you don't need a soft hammer. Cutting all the way off can be dangerous just like cutting a piece off all the way on the face of an anvil or a cutting plate. The piece that is being cut off can fly away. Cutting to the center will not allow the loose piece to fly. It will fall to the ground if you cut all the way. I also would recommend not hardening a hot cut so it doesn't damage your hammer face if you hit the hardy. It will only damage the hot cut. If you have a hardened hot cut, both your hammer and hot cut will get damaged.

I'm just starting out, I have been working on nails.  The problem I'm having is I'm hitting to soft when cutting, I was also using a hardy cut with a tip that was round and not sharp. So by the time I cut and twist the nail to break it off it's lost it's yellow and turns black. So it was hard to form a nice looking nail head. Pick up a new hardy cut this weekend that is sharp going to attempted some more nail soon.

I will have to pick up a brass hammer, have one for my hand planes but the handle is short. 

Thanks, Jacob

post-40075-0-37078900-1393345995_thumb.j

Just thought I'd mention that a brass headed hammer can and will spall off chunks if it's used on hard surfaces.  I thought it'd be the way to go as well but if you really think about it, it's generally smoother to other operations to work your way towards the center by rotating stock over the hardie. That keeps the cutting edge in the center of the stock and not against the hammer face.