I Forge Iron

steel for furnace grate

armand

I have a wood furnace that requires a custom type grate. After many years the old one simply wore away. Since I am having trouble finding a distributor (even after talking to the manufacturer). I am thinking about making my own grate. The grate is simply a 24" rod with about 18 fingers running perpindicular to this rod. So the question is what type of steel would handle the temperature and oxidization effects from a wood fire, and can this steel be welded? A suggestion has been to use a s10 steel, are there any other options. any suggestions would be welcomed
Armand.

what makes grates subject to deterioration is the carbon content, that is why there are so many surviving andirons from the 19th century and before, they used Wrought Iron which has vertually no carbon content. Some Stainless Steels have high heat resistance because of the Chrome and Nickel content, its used in big commercial furnaces where the fire is hardly ever shut down except for routine maintenance.

what makes grates subject to deterioration is the carbon content, that is why there are so many surviving andirons from the 19th century and before, they used Wrought Iron which has vertually no carbon content. Some Stainless Steels have high heat resistance because of the Chrome and Nickel content, its used in big commercial furnaces where the fire is hardly ever shut down except for routine maintenance.

Yes, but cast iron will also last a long time and it runs 3-6% carbon so fire resistance is related to overall corrosion resistance. Neither wrought or cast iron rust away as readily as mild steel.

With all that said, I'd still probably use rebar for a grate and call it good - then simply make another one when that one dies.