I Forge Iron

Brand new to the whole smithing thing.

texascherokee

Hello everybody. 

My names Robert, I'm 24 years of age and I live in San Antonio, Texas.

I've very very new to the whole blacksmithing thing. I've never touched an anvil or a forge. 

I have a a buddy who's been doing it for years and I asked him for some insight on it and he referred me to the wonderful people here at iforgeiron.com. He is going to take me in as a student so I can learn how to make my own tools and learn proper techniques. I hope to be able to show some of my work here at IFI and learn from you guys as well. Any tips, tricks, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

I've always been very intrigued by blacksmithing and forging and always thought it was a really nifty process.

I picked up welding and O/A torch cutting while deployed overseas in Iraq and had the opportunity to learn forging with my buddy who also happened to be deployed with me but could never get the time to learn outside of work. 

I hope to here good things from y'all and learn a very valuable and long lived skill and become part of such an timeless tradition.

Thanks,

Robert

First off thank your buddy for telling you about IForgeIron.

Second pack a lunch and a cold drink and read the site cover to cover. The answers to most of your questions are answered already. If you need additional information, just ask.

Get eye, ear, and face protection. That includes a shade #3 glasses from the welding supplier. They should be comfortable enough so you do not remember you are wearing them. A good apron will protect both your body and your clothes. 

Go back and read the articles on safety again. Pay attention this time to things that can kill you, like plated or coated metals.

Welcome to IForgeIron, enjoy your visit.

Welcome aboard Robert, glad to have you. Thanks for serving!

About touching the anvil and forge. Be very, VERY careful what part of the forge you touch!

At the bottom of the IFI front page is the section of regional organization pages Glenn and the boys host. There are a number of organizations in Texas, pick a close one and meet up. Of course there are a bunch of Texicans in the IFI gang so I suppose Jerry W. and the others will be cluing you in on where to go any old time now.

Frosty The Lucky.