I Forge Iron

Belts slipping on 50 lbs LG

I know that there are specifications as far as amount of contact a belt should have around the circumference of a pulley. I Googled minimum belt contact and found one document that might help.V-Belt Design Manual - Bando USA
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=lK0GU9SmJqKz2QXM2oG4Ag&url=http://www.bandousa.com/html/pdfs/bu-143manual.pdf&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGxka9DaA7KrmorEszkUYz5L4WZaQ

Start with the basics get 2 new belts.

Gates no longer make matched sets of belts.  They claim manufacture is so good all belts match?????

Try to get the Industrial, equipment type belts, Gates & Napa call them Green Belts, they are better for this type use than automotive belts.   

Be sure to clean and sand the pulley grooves to get old oil or rust build up out.

Belts look for a reason to slip.   

Definitely new belts. If you don't need to open the belt to fit it, raw edge wedge belts with a cogged form on the inside are better than either wrapped wedge belts or the older vee belts when you have to contend with small pulleys and minimal wrap. Gates seem about the best I've tried and the lengths really are that consistent.

Do a really good job of degreasing the pulleys (both of them) and it might well help to take any polished surface off the small pulley. Blasting works well, but a quick once over with a fairly coarse abrasive cloth is better than nothing.

If they have been slipping, check the small pulley still has V-shaped grooves. If they are starting to wear U-shaped, even slightly, replace the pulley.

Link belts are only really a good idea for stuff where the belt has to be split to install it. I think the link belts claim to be stronger and more vibration-resistant than conventional belts is based on the old 1950s-spec Vee belts. The latest generation wedge belts are, as you'd expect, also way ahead of the 1950s stuff. Gates had their "Quad-Power" belts maybe 20 years ago that would transmit 4 times more power-per-belt than the old ones would and things have moved on since then.