I Forge Iron

First solo demo...

I had an invitation this past Saturday to do a demo at the Little River Railroad Museum in Townsend, TN.

This was my first solo demonstration. I felt like I had my rig in pretty good order. This forced me to fix some things I have been putting off for a long time.

This was a relatively new thing for the museum folks, so we both chalked it up to a learning experience. I certainly didn

Was your vise attached to the forge table or a freestanding base?

I welded 2 -2" x 1/4" pieces at 45 degrees across the corner of my forge. The mounting bracket has 2 holes in the front, 2 in the back... therefore, 2 pieces. I could have used a larger piece of plate, but the 2-by-quarter is what I had in the pile. I also made a 4"x4"x2" block with a 1" hole in the center to go on the ground and catch the foot of the vise. As long as the ground is hard, this will support the weight. I just used it for twisting... no hard hammering.

nice apron

Ha! :D Thanks. I actually stiched that up the night before from some scraps I had laid up to make a shooting bag. I think the apron turned out better than the bag would have.

Don

Don,
If you made enugh to pay for your gas you did alright. Especialy for your first time out. I've have put on 4 demos at a old style General store in a historic district not far from here and people are starting to come back and see what I'm up to. I enjoy it and except for the first one (Dec, cold real cold) I have at least paid for the materials and bought a few tools.
Nice set up by the way.

John

Don,
Don't worry about the pay at first. As long as you get a couple little dudes to come by and leave with the "that's totally awesome" look on their faces it was well worth it. THEN worry about the pay. I do one demo in the spring at my alma mater, it kinda kills my week and that Saturday, but it's a really family oriented fine arts fair/festival, so there's always plenty of kids running around and standing mesmerized while they try to contemplate just how hot 1600 degrees actually is :) The real trick to that particular festival is, that as long as I am performing a live demo, I don't have to pay the exhibitors fee, and I've made some pretty decent contacts in the uppity-uppity central Illinois fine art's community. Not necessarily the type I associate with on a regular basis, but they ARE the ones that have other contacts with people who can still afford commissioned work.

-Aaron @ the SCF (is still waiting for his ship to come in...)

How'd you find it working with the sunlight on your anvil?

I didn't care for it, but it's not as bad as working with the sunlight in my fire!

I ruined a good piece of file steel I had saved to make a striker/fire-steel. I also brought a couple mild steel sparklers out of the fire, but managed to save 'em.

I didn't have a back or sides on my canopy, so what shade I did have continued to migrate across the lawn like the hand of a sun dial.

Thanks a lot for the comments... all very encouraging.

Don