I Forge Iron

Air Compressor Suggestions

I've built a new shop building and will need another compressor since the old compressor stays at the barn (old shop). I need at least 105 SCFM @125 psi for some of the equipment that will be running on it.

I've read at another site that the Ingersoll Rand T-30 is a long time standard. Any other suggestions?

I have the IR 5 hp 220V single phase two stage from TSC. If I recall it runs right at 16-17 cfm. I can run my power hammer or my blasting cabinet with no problem. I am saving my pennies for a big blu power hammer and that will be the real test. But any way it was right at $1000.00 when I bought it last year. I wanted the one Hollis has but couldn't spare the extra $600 dollars at the time. But anyway so far I have been happy with the one I have.

John

I have a 60 gallon 16 cfm single stage upright compressor made by PUMA. It ( they ) are sold at the local tractor/farm store. right at 10 years ago it was $ 499.- ( still has the sticker on it ). I have looked at new ones in last few years ( PUMA ) and I have seen about $ 6-799.- for a price ( this will get me 22-23 CFM 2 stage and 80 gallon upright ). I replaced the motor last year. This compressor gets a pretty good workout, mostly plasma but die grinders etc as well. I'm happy. I also may add that I was at an amish fellas shop recently and he was building a compressor station ( trailer ) for some folks. He had a new compressor from someplace that was 2 stage and had a 2 year warranty ( I believe ). This interests me as well and I may look into it.

Something you've probably already thought of, but. Might want to consider a screw as it's quiet, or build a separate area just for the compressor if it's not. The sound can be deafening at times. Especially in a new building that you've not put up insulation in yet. Screw's are more expensive, but should last relatively longer as well. Get some quotes and see if you can work them against each other to get a better deal. Think about how long the compressor is supposed to last and think about what you might want to add to your shop that runs on air during that time.