I Forge Iron

Safely removing Chrome

I have read most of the safety posts on this site and Google searches about avoiding Heavy Metal fumes and this is something I am taking very seriously.

That said...I was recently gifted 2 large 30" chromed socket wrenches with busted heads.  I am curious to know if I were to use a grinder to remove the chrome covering do others believe it would then be safe to forge?  

The man who gave me the socket asked if I could attempt to make him a large hammer out of one of the wrenches.

If you decide to grind it off, it would be best to do it outside with a properly rated respirator. All those little particles will stay aloft for a while so if you are outside with a nice breeze you should be fine. If that is not an option, for safety's sake I would suggest what Thomas said. Doing it indoors would be bad news because even once the dust settles, you will eventually be sweeping the floor (I assume) which will make the chrome dust get back into the air again. 

-Crazy Ivan

I have never been know for being green, but looking at the after effects,  should he buy the neighbors a respirator for the dust or hope they buy their own?   Maybe just not worry about poisoning them that are down wind? after all what they dont know cant hurt them, right?

We really should be a bit more responsible about our advise to people. Suggesting the outside grinding off of these toxins, or dumping the vinegar we used to remove a coating in the street...

Part of the pollution problems we have is from neglect and just expecting it to magically go away when we dump it out  in the yard or the river.... this is Haz Mat, pretending it isnt wont help.

was not pointed at you personally, we all do things like this, and dont think about it, a while ago there was talk about a member pouring the vinegar used to remove his zink plating in the driveway near the shop, and he thought that it just "goes away".

we often forget that it has to go somewhere.

Take it to a plating shop as suggested above. I had the chrome removed from my entire 3/4" socket drive set that way. Got tired of being cut by the chipped chrome. No cost to me they got the chrome for free!  And it didn't take long either. However under the chrome is nickel plate. Mine are still nickeled.

Gentlemen, I appreciate the advice.  I certainly do not wish to poison my neighbors.  Big thanks to Steve Sells for pointing out this obvious problem with grinding it off at home.  I am going to take it to a local chrome shop and ask what they charge to take the chrome off.