I Forge Iron

New smith

SIlverSmelter

hello all my name is travis im new to the art of smithing. Im from central Pa.  i was playing at the forge yesterday and noticed i had a lot of scale on my material just wondering if that comes from being to low in the fire pot, or maybe just not enough fire to burn excess oxygen. hope you guys can teach me lots as i would like to pass this knowledge to my lil fella (at 9mo. old) when he is big enough to crank the blower

Welcome aboard Travis, glad to have you. You're probably placing the steel too low in the fire or cranking too much on the blower. Pile the coal deeper and place the steel farther from the air grate.

Scale WILL form as soon as hot steel hits the air no matter what kind of forge you use so be sure to give it a quick brush before forging or the hammer and anvil will drive scale into the steel for an odd texture.

Have you checked out all the material in the different sections of IFI? There's about anything a boy could ever want to know about smithing packed in the various sections. Pack a lunch and something to drink, pull up a comfy chair and enjoy the reading.

Frosty The Lucky.