I Forge Iron

New to Blacksmithing,In Fairbanks

Intro.. Name is Jeff, living in Fairbanks. I have been playing with a homebuilt coal forge for several months and using the local coal. What do you guys think of the coal we get from Healy? Is there a supply of coal that is better for smithing, here in Alaska?    Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Most people who have used the Healy Coal have not been that impressed. Having said that I have a friend who seems to like it fine, perhaps there are different veins in the mine. I use propane, most of the people I know also use propane. I am told that the coal from Chickaloon is much better for forging than that from Healy. Usibelli is trying to open  a mine here that might be good but I don't know anyone who has tried the coal they are looking at.

I tried coal that you can get for free off the beach around Anchor River. The veins of coal are in the cliff bluffs and slough off down to the beach. With a 4 wheeler and trailer you can get all you want. Too good to be true? Probably. I have very little experience with coal but with my small rivet forge made a couple small pieces and just within an hour I got a clinker that was 4 inches across and just about choked off the grate. Im sure alot of that comes from my lack of knowledge with coal.

Most of the coal is very flakey and smokes alot. Although there were a couple of softball size pieces that were very hard to breakup and seemed to burn much cleaner.

Is all the coal for sale up here from Healy? Its the only active coal mine I know of up here.

I am pretty sure all the coal we can buy from in state soarses comes from Healy.

The coal from Healy heats ok to good, but has lots of clinkers also. I get about 30 minutes then have to dig out a dome of glass to get the air back.

The coal from Sutton reads to be a better grade of coal for blacksmithing. I was wondering if anybody down there had a soarse of it to try.

I am burning coal and lump charcoal for for the adventure of it right now. 

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have you. You might want to hook up with Bryan Morgan in North Pole. He says there's a hardware store in or near Fairbanks that carries metallurgical coal.

From what I've heard the coal from Healy is boiler coal they powder and blow into power plant furnaces, it isn't the same as smithing coal at all. Then there's the coal I hear is being sold from the Sutton area that's sub bituminous. I haven't heard much good about it but have never tried it so it's hearsay.

I have used coal from Chickaloon, the Castle Mountain mine or one of the mines. It's laid on or near the surface since just after WWII and can be pretty iffy. If you can find or ID the good coal it's as good as you can get anywhere. I have probably half a ton I mined  some years back but I'm mostly a propane forge guy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey Jeff, 

I get my coal from Alaska Feed on College Rd, its right by the fair grounds.  Its good coal for forging.  The owner gets it for his dad who founded Alaska Feed and is also a blacksmith.  I have been using it for 5 years and it works very well.  I haven't used Healy coal as yet but know some people who have and they even weld with it.  So its all about what your willing to do.  The last time I got some coal it was $34.99 for 50 lbs.  I still have about 175 lbs left from my last buy.  But, I know here at North Pole Gravel you can get a ton of Healy Coal for $120 - $140 somewhere in that range.  It has high sulfur but will get the job done.

Hey Thanks, I get chicken food from Ak Feed, never thought to ask there...

Healy coal does get hot enough. I had a horse shoe burn in half while I was side tracked. Just lots of clinkers.

New forge fired today. Built one with about 10x14 by 3 1/2 deep fire pot. I can already see I will be using alot more fuel. But what fun is a hobby if its cheap!  Thanks again.  Jeff

When you want or need a smaller fire pot just fill it with some brick so you're not wasting fuel. Being thrifty is a blacksmitherly thing or we'd never pick up dirty old steel thingies off the side of the road.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have bricks ready for the next fire.  When I built this fire pot I drilled out the grate, (as many 5/16" holes as I could get in a 3" dia )  rather that cut out the grate and weld in some bars.  Seemed easier at the time.  I am not sure I like the airflow. Maybe I am over thinking it also.  I am running this forge with a hand crank champion blower.  Is there a best design for air flow into the fire pot?

Every conclusion I come to, leads to another question to ponder!!!    Jeff

I'm not really a coal fire guy, I haven't found a good source close and have had good luck with propane. So my opinion is FWIW.

Back when I thought we had good coal available I built a forge with an air grate like yours but only worked so-so. I ended up plugging most of the holes by dropping in rivets so I could change the flow if I wanted. It's hard to clean, I had to make a special poker to clean clinker from the holes. I've used air grates that are 1/2" round stock welded over an opening with a small gap, maybe 1/4" or so, sort of like a BBQ grill. These are very easy to clean, just give it a poke and scrape with the rake. Reducing the air flow is as easy as putting a piece of brick over part.

And that's the preference of a propane forge guy. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I just got back from Alaska Feed a little bit ago and right now they do not have any coal.  And may not be able to get any more.  I left my name and number for further updates.  I was told they may have to get coal by the ton and might not if they can't get enough commitment to move that amount.  So right now there is no good blacksmithing coal source that I am aware of in Central Alaska.  I'm going to get hold of the Usibelli Coal MIne office here in Fairbanks to see what is available.  If I can get a very good price I may just buy a couple of tons from Usibelli and then offer it at cost to any smiths in the area.  .  I will update when I find out more information

The coal from Healy is Sub Bitumious, as per there web site, but it reads to me as being on the upper end in BTU's for sub bitum...
At this point in my training I dont know good coal from bad coal!! I have hammered out all small stuff with it. And several knife blanks. I have had no luck forge welding with it.

I hear there are a few guys in town(Fairbanks) that chip in and ship up large amount every so often. Job for tomorrow is see if I can track down a name and there source, and see what the costs would be. More Later Jeff

I hope you can make a few contacts. I don't know if any of the guys in south Central use coal, I do know some guys have used beach coal from around Homer but I don't know how well it works.

Even with a superb coal exposure less than 50 miles from here I use propane.

I wish I could give you a rundown on how to judge your coal but I'd just have to do it and show you. Hopefully someone on IFI can describe the process and what to look for.

Have you tried charcoal? It burns clean and hot, is easy enough to make and can be had most anywhere.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've seen people weld with the sub-bituminous from Healy.  So it can be done.  Just keep the fire free of clinker and adjust the blast to make it a good reducing fire.  I know Jake P. welded an axe bit with it a few years ago and there's a thread here on the forum somewhere with that information.  I tried to find it and failed miserably.  I don't have anything further to report yet.  I did hear, however that Usiblelli is supposed to open a bituminous seam.  I just don't have any other information than that.  So, hearsay and I don't have exact data yet, just what I was told.  I will keep everyone appraised of what I find out.  Fingers crossed for good news.

That would be good news. I hope they'll sell outside contract. The Chinese are hot for metallurgical coal and may demand a single buyer contract. That's what's happening to scrap yards, single buyer contracts and they can't sell to anyone else.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Frosty The Lucky.

I suspected there were better grades of coal in the same mine. I have gotten several batches of coal from Healy and
everyone of them burns a little different.It would be nice to get good coal from a local source.
I am on board for getting some good coal. Whatever I can do to help.

On another note I am passing thru Galena next week and wanted to swing in and check on Jake P. (If thats Jake the Blacksmith,youguys are referring to.) Last fall, word was he was doing OK after the flood. His place is right on the bank and got hit pretty hard during the flood I think. Ive met him a couple times out there and never have enough time to really visit with him. More later Jeff

Yes that's him, everyone I know here calls him Jake the Russian.  Jake Pograbinski.  I believe is the spelling of his name.  Very talented smith and really knows the science of it.  He's been very helpful to me with process and we made an axe together in Ester.  We used to have great talks about stuff.  I miss that.  He hasn't ben on IFI much lately.

I had heard he was able to get all his tools to higher ground.  Lost his cabin though.  I would imagine the dock as well.  Or was it just a landing?  I don't remember from the photo's I've seen.  Hopefully with the warmer temperatures we've had this winter it won't be a bad breakup like last year.