I Forge Iron

Hammer In

"The Ring of Fire" October 20th 9am-5pm

2nd Annual Yesteryear Forge Hammer In

Location: Yesteryear Forge 15421 Five Forks Rd. Amelia VA 23002

Demonstrators:

Randy McDaniel: Randy will be doing a FULL DAY demo on tool making, animal heads, and cowboy hats. Randy is also the author of "A Blacksmithing Primer, A Course in Basic and Intermediate Blacksmithing." This is widely known as one of the BEST educational books and VHS/DVD sets out there. This is your opportunity to see a well known author and an amazing smith.

Randy Cox: Randy will be demonstrating copper work throughout the day with various projects. Randy is an instructor in North Carolina for "motorsports management". He trains the NASCAR guys how to do body work. His techniques are easy to understand and a joy to watch.

Dave Hammer: Dave is the "Roaming Blacksmith". This guy goes great distances to see demonstrations and his very much a veteran smith. He will be putting on a 1 hour demo that is sure to show us all something new.

Rabenwald Metalsmything: This is a group of reenactors involved with the SCA. They are a fun group to hang out and watch with their own unique set up. Their talent and enthusiasm is contageous and they are going to have everyone focused in on their demonstrations.

SILENT AUCTION:

*Bob Rowe & Carl Hirner of Colonial Williamsburg: Wrought Iron Tomahawks with tool steel inserts(2 unfinished), wrought Iron drift, tomahawk kit.
*Brian Gilbert: wine rack
*Brian Gilbert: Trillium Candle Holder
*Brian Gilbert: Damascus billet Brian Gilbert: Renaissance Wax
*ABANA: T-shirt, Magazines, bumper stickers, pens, posters
*NC Tool Co: 4 pairs of new tongs
*Kayne & Son: 800g Swedish hammer, Hat
*Dick Nietfeld: Cross Pien Hammer
*Doug Merkel: Rasp Tomahawk
*Doug Merkel: Candle Holder
*Doug Merkel: Nail Header
*Doug Merkel: Hofi style Hammer

OTHER INFO:

~Yesteryear Forge has a huge collection of blacksmithing related items on display including over 35 anvils, and dozens of post vises from 8" down.

~Lunch is provided: 35 gallons of Brunswick Stew made the right way!

~ TAILGATING!!! There will be people there selling, and anyone is welcome to come and set up to sell blacksmith related items.

~ On site store by: Blacksmith Supply

THERE IS NO ADMISSION FEE! We do ask everyone to please consider bringing an item for our Iron In The Hat or to make a donation to help support the guild and our upcoming events. PLEASE RSVP IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEND THE HAMMER IN! president@blacksmithguildofva.com or 434-390-6203

Let me know if you are planning on coming!!!!!!
Peyton Anderson

• 3 weeks later...

Blacksmiths and supporters of the blacksmithing trade,
I am really excited about the hammer in, but I won’t be there in person. I will have to enjoy the photo's and the after report that will be found on the web site and in the news letter.
It is just simply exciting to know that so many people are going to have the privilege to be in attendance at an event that is formatted in such a fashion that I hope heaven will be like it. But then again there may be a problem with me trying to be in attendance.
When I was young and had pretty good health and would be able to travel, nothing like this was ever available in my part of the country. Those who are able to attend or support the Blacksmith Guild of Virginia should know you are very fortunate.
I am aware of a couple of blacksmith organizations who started out with good intents but wound up commercializing the events and in my opinion exploited people who were trying to be involved with the blacksmithing trade. Over time, only the blacksmiths with enough high end money could comfortably attend.
An estimated example: If this hammer-in was being held by one of the blacksmith organizations I am speaking of, it would most likely cost you (each) about $300.00 Plus $10.00 per bowel of stew. I could go into more detail but that would be superfluous.
I can see very clearly that the Blacksmith Guild of Virginia is what it says it is:
"Dedicated to the preservation of the blacksmith tradition."
But I know the basic costs are still present. Just the time put in by the Guild staff members alone must be overwhelming. The use of the facilities and the additional costs no doubt mount.
So, I would suggest that we who benefit from the Blacksmith Guild of Virginia be as supportive as possible in every way.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

I agree with everything said. My wife and I drive over 4 hours to go to the guild meetings
we were made welcome on our first trip and attend when we can. these are a great group of people. My wife even has shown interest in smithing just because of the environment at the demos she is learning and so am I. Many Thanks to Peyton and the Tanners for helping preserve this fine art and teaching others. Jae and Kim Mobley
only 2 days left cant wait!!

Well I sit here in the campground after a very cool day at Yesteryear forge....lots o knowledge good people and the stew rocked....Good job Peyton and everyone involved.
I only bought a hammer and some gilders paste and lotsa stew!

FP

I agree with everything said. My wife and I drive over 4 hours to go to the guild meetings
we were made welcome on our first trip and attend when we can. these are a great group of people. My wife even has shown interest in smithing just because of the environment at the demos she is learning and so am I. Many Thanks to Peyton and the Tanners for helping preserve this fine art and teaching others. Jae and Kim Mobley
only 2 days left cant wait!!

took me 7 hrs to get there and 7 to get home!!
worth every mile

Well.........its over.

Thanks to everyone for their support in preparing and supporting us throughout the hammer in. We has 136 people show up and 13 tailgators selling everything from new stuff to very rare old stuff, and coal.

I am sorting through the first half of the photos from the day(about 650 pictures).

Now the real work begins...I will be uploading photos here and on Blacksmith Guild of Viriginia - Home startig this afternoon and going until we can get as many up as possible.

THANKS to the Tanner family for all of their help.
THANKS to the Central VA. Guild for helping with the HUGE Iron in the Hat!
THANKS to Randy McDaniel, Randy Cox, and Rabenwald Metalsmything for doing such wonderful demos throughout the day!

I can not think of anything that could have made the day more perfect. I am humbled by everyones comments here and I thank you very much for them. This guild can do these things because of the heart and participation from our members. It is all of you who deserve the credit.

Thanks to everyone!!!
Peyton

This is what it is --ALL about
In my honest opinion every guild should have this as the foundation of its very existance
Mike Tanner

We had several kids,several teenagers and one mom in the ( RING OF FIRE )
They all had a blast as we did watching and showing them.
Set the hook deep in a couple of them I could tell

Mike Tanner