I Forge Iron

Got me an anvil

Morning all

I'm brand new here, so a big hello to everyone :)

Last weekend I picked up an anvil.  I had been after one for ages when this turned up.  I believe its a Brooks from looking around the internet, but please correct me if wrong.

1489203_10152126906083077_843579167_n.jp

522439_10152126942293077_1878923220_n.jp

I had to fire up the forge to have a bash didn't I!!

1609818_10152127299438077_508217393_n.jp

This is built out of the top of a gas bottle, with a length of hoover hose and a hair dryer for the air supply.  So far only been used to heat treat tool steel, but that planted the seed of blacksmithing!

Very nice mate. Was that a gumtree find? 

They are great anvils - but as I'm sure you've found out already they ring like a bell! Personally I'd do away with the cast iron stand and make a steel one or find a good stump to secure it to. The ringing can be limited a number of ways. Securing it tightly and having some rubber sheet or caulk/ silicone under the anvil helps. 

All the best 

Andy

Thanks Guys

And your right Andy, it does ring!  I was going to seat it on a rubber pad and wrap a chain around its feet when I get one.  I've also heard that you can stick a U of metal through the pritchel hole that helps deaden the ring!

Just need to buy me some stock to play with now :)

The anvil's ring is a result of vibrations mainly from the thinner parts.  The resonance caused by the hammer's impact can be minimized by bedding the anvil in silicone caulk, and/or placing magnets fore and aft on the anvil.  In your case, I'd advise laying down a sheet of plywood for the anvil to sit on, and then setting the anvil in caulk.  It will nullify most of the ring by tying all of the parts together.  Chains, and magnets on the side of the body, don't seem to help at all, but are a "tradition".

heard that you can stick a U of metal through the pritchel hole  That's called a blacksmith's mute.  Works like a charm, but a simply U doesn't work nearly as well as an open spiral hooked into the pritchel.  Like with the aforementioned magnets, the mute absorbs the vibrations that make the ringing sound.  Just make sure to have enough leg sticking down the pritchel hole so the mute doesn't bounce out.  I prefer 1/4" stock, but anything smallish will work.