I Forge Iron

Anyone ever used this kind of hammers?

Dabbsterinn

Yesterday I was helping my brother in law remove the right hand something driveshaft of his car and he gave me those two hammerheads as a thank you for helping, those are hammers for fixing dents in cars and guessing by the line that runs along the head and the tiny dents on the head that they're cast, which I find rather odd for a hammer to be cast, I'll give them a go over a wire wheel to hopefully find out more.

seeing their size I'll probably not use them that much except for finishing up small work and the left hammer pointy end to sink spoons and other stuff like that when i get something to sink it in

has anyone here used this kind of hammers or  seen someone use them?

BeaGzlfIMAApB_I.jpg

Something to sink into. I will often sink, hot, into a billet of wood, end grain. Start on a flat area, and it will make its own cavity with repeated heats. If the end grain seems too hard, work the piece in from the side of the billet. This method is helpful for flowers, leaves, spoons, and suchlike.

Standard panel beaters tools. Those hammers are used for sheet metal working in the auto body repair industry.

yea, I was once tasked with organizing all of his tools at some point, has well over 20 hammers of a similar style for exactly that

Very common, but handy if you do flowers and other light metal beating.

i had exactly that in mind, i also have a really nice sheet metal cross/straight peen hammer, too sharp to be used on hot metal, would just leave cuts in it, but would be a nice texturing tool for flower petals, genko  leaves for example, clovers would be a fun thing to try

Something to sink into. I will often sink, hot, into a billet of wood, end grain. Start on a flat area, and it will make its own cavity with repeated heats. If the end grain seems too hard, work the piece in from the side of the billet. This method is helpful for flowers, leaves, spoons, and suchlike.

yea, that's a good idea, but I don't exactly have the biggest smithy, I'll be using a large ring made of thick round stock, I've seen them being used to make shield bosses, pots and helmets, I'll be making one of those soon enough when I get more coal

I can see the pointy one being used to create a countersunk hole after punching, but that's just me!

that's a really good idea, nice creative thinking there, problem is I intend to use it as a hammer and if I were to use it as a counter sinking tool I'd have to anneal the flat surface for striking if I don't want to have a pretty nasty accident, my uncle once almost accidentally slit his throat by hitting hammer on hammer, the face chipped and landed just a few millimeters left of a major artery

You mean you don't have a "soft hammer" for striking tooling with?  Mine vary from rawhide, wood, lead, copper to brass  and then I have a couple of annealed steel hammers for such special purposes---and students who hammer like lightening!---they never hit the same place twice...

unfortunately no, i don't have a soft hammer yet, good idea with the lead one, i have access a big supply of lead and tools to melt and cast it, will make one as soon as i can.

I also recently found a place that sells rawhide hammers but i really dislike the smell of them so i'll try a wooden one first, can't be that hard to make one