I Forge Iron

What kind of metal do I have ??

A little background on this ... These square metal bars 3/4 x 3/4 were produced before 1870. They come from a Railroad concrete upright that was used to hold up a train bridge. The Railroad was completed in 1871 and went out of business and was abandonded right about the time of the depression. The railroad carried iron ore and coal in Southeastern Ohio. Like tall, quiet and cold giants from a long ago forgotten time, the comcrete uprights are now crumbling to gravel from age and the upright iron support bars are becoming exposed. I thought they might be wrought iron given their age and condition, but in a cut and bend test, the piece snapped off and left a crystaline structure as you can see in the picture. The bars are only surface rusted with some pitting, and not delaminating like steel does when in the outdoors for many years. Not bad for being 140+ years old !!  I've not yet had the opportunity to heat and pound on a piece due to the cold, and I look forward to doing that next week.. I was fortunate to get 3 pieces about 8 foot long before the cold snap set in. Anyone have more info on what kind of iron these bars might be ?? The two end pieces pics shows the crystalline structure inside and the one long piece shows how it cleans up on the outside. What I also find interesting is these metal bars could have been made during the Civil War when the battles of Lynchburg and Appomattox Courthouse were being fought !! Kinda neat to have some old iron like this.

Thanks in advance.

Ohio Rusty

Purveyor and Blacksmith

The Ohio Frontier Forge

post-22393-0-14544900-1389452495_thumb.j

post-22393-0-25535700-1389452525_thumb.j

post-22393-0-12923400-1389452542_thumb.j

The invention of the Bessemer process allowed for bridges and buildings to be made from steel that was stronger than cast iron or wrought.  However, I agree, it's most likely grey cast iron.  A sure fire check would be to heat it up to a red/orange and try to forge it.  Cast will crumble.  Just wear your safety gear. :o

Ohio Rusty,

From the pics it does "look" like grey cast iron.

A simple test that I perform when customers bring in things like that is a drill test.

Ductile iron - drills and produces a chip just like drilling mild steel.

Grey iron - does not produce a chip but rather a clumpy powder.

Great info all .... Thanks so much for your postings !!!  I don't have a grinder but I do have a belt sander. Sparks are long dull orange with little forks on the end. Probably not a good spark test compared to a grinding wheel. 

I definitely have a drill press Vapremac. That is great information and I'll drill on that piece you see in the pic when I get home from work.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Purveyor and Blacksmith

The Ohio Frontier Forge

Yep Tim ... its snapped abruptly ... . I didn't expect it and almost fell backwards.

I did the drill test Vapemac and it did produce chips and curls of metal. That is good news as I was hoping for something usable to work with. Just as a test I also drilled into a railroad spike for a comparison and they were similiar. The old iron seems to be softer as it drilled a bit easier. Tuesday I'll heat up a couple of short pieces and pound on them. I already have my minds eye on some things to make with this square stock.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Purveyor and Blacksmith

The Ohio Frontier Forge