I Forge Iron

A blacksmith's passing

Marc

My teacher, mentor, and friend, Ken DeRoche, passed away yesterday. He got me started in blacksmithing five years ago and we continued to hammer together. He was also a farrier for over 20 years, earning numerous awards. Most recently he was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the Southern New England Farriers Assoc.

Ken had numerous health problems, but he never let them get him down. Every setback always seemed to turn into an opportunity. When his health prevented him from shoeing, he took that as an opportunity to pass his knowledge on and started teaching both shoeing and blacksmithing.

He was at dialysis when he got chest pains and died later at the hospital of a massive coronary. And he was just scheduled for heart surgery in a couple weeks. I guess when it's your time, it's your time.

He will be missed.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to the wake tonight and expect to see more than a few smiths there. He did pass down to the next generation. I only wish I was one of them (the next generation, I mean ). :? But he did have quite a few younger students.

I also find that I'm using his teaching techniques when I help others. They worked for me. I don't have his skills, yet, but I've got the basics. Pracice will hopefully get the rest.

Take care, all.

--Marc