I Forge Iron

My second Damascus Knife

kayakersteve

This is the second damascus that I have made - I am doing this fior fun and learning as I go (thanks for everyone's tips and input!)  I used a 1940 tire hammer to do the welding and I see a few inclusion or cold shuts are present, but I hope my next will be better.  Going to try a press next time to see if the welding process is any easier or better.  Thanks for looking.

post-27724-0-26866600-1387364618_thumb.j

post-27724-0-14611500-1387364626_thumb.j

post-27724-0-43352300-1387364634_thumb.j

post-27724-0-09579800-1387364642_thumb.j

Steve - looks like your getting a good start on making knives. I would suggest though to step back a bit and not getting to fancy with what your doing with the billets until you get no inclusions after fully welded. That way you don't spend a lot of extra time into a billet just to find out they are not clear of defects. plenty of time to get fancy with patterns after you can get good solid billets. Just my opinion, and your hobby to do as you choose. I prefer to weld the billets by hand.

In the first pic on the right side there looks to be an area that has not welded. On the top part of the billet that appears to extend towards the middle of the vice. When you find something like that resolve it before patterning. 

I prefer to do all of my welds with hand hammer. I want to number one make sure I am welding heat and number two I can look for color changes at the same time. If the billet is not the same welding color heat all the way through it tells me. I use a power hammer for drawing out and I do that at welding heat. When I cut, clean and re-stack it is back to hand for those welds. 

When I pattern I clean and examine the billet to make sure I do not have issues like you may have in this billet. I almost always have some spots not welded near the ends, I cut them off and make sure I removed all problems...

I grind ladder patterns much as you did in this modified pattern. And I flatten them out by hand.  I have a bit of money in a billet but mostly it is labor intensive. I hate to end up with a failure by taking any shortcut. 

If you would like more ideas  pm me. 

Steve, a few more billets and you'll have it down.  Reading the temps and letting the heat soak takes a little practice.  Rich, Homeshow.  I agree with you both.  I feel that I get a better weld hand hammering.  But since many of my billets are from using larger stock they are usually large and tend to trapazoid.  Its got to do with bad hammer technique (10lb sledge in a hold down hardy) and an anvil that 2" too high for striking.  The one opportunity to use a press and I fell in love. :wub:   I gotta get me one. 

One way around that (trapizoid) is to do twisted patterns.